Left-handed: 3.5yrs old - how to train?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Left-handed: 3.5yrs old - how to train?

Postby mummy2008 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi all,

My girl uses her left hand dominantly. Come to writing/drawing, she uses her left hand first, awhile later she changes to her right hand. Because she feels tired. Guess I need to train her motor skills more, so she won't feel tired easily.

Am abit confused whether she is really a left handed. After she started prenursery, she can use both hands.

How do we know whether our child is left handed or not? When Will we know whether she is really left handed or right handed?

My dh n I are not left handed, but my grandma and my nephew are left handed. My left hand stronger than right hand, but I always use right hand

Please help with ur opinion/experience.

Thanks

mummy2008
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Left-handed: 3.5yrs old - how to train?

Postby BeContented » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi,
left or right hand .... IMO it doesn't matter.
Seemingly, those who can use both hands are using both sides of the brain....so I would think it's even better :wink:

My brother was dominantly left, but when it comes to playing sports, he uses his right. He kinda suffered under my dad cos' he would be forced and punished and caned to conform to the 'norm'. But fortunately, after sometime, my dad finally came to terms that besides being a little more troublesome eg. mealtimes, there's really nothing wrong being left-handed.

My son is also predominantly left-handed. When he was young, we noticed that he would always reach out with his left hand first, similarly, would use right when tired. Typically, things that require more precision and control... that will be their dominant hand. We let nature take its course.....11yo DS now writes with left, eats and play sports with right :)

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:39 am

yup let nature take its course. DS1 only established dominant hand for writing at about 5 or 6. DS2 has established dominant hand for writing at 3+. Both left handers. I don't "train" them, but just give them some pointers on letter formation. I have asked adult left-handers on the writing strokes, and while they can follow the conventional strokes, it seems that if they need to speed up, they will go in reverse direction since that feels more natural for them. So I am not very particular about the direction of the strokes, but I do inform them that the teachers may specify the strokes at the kindergarten level, but as long as they are neat, it is ok with me and nobody will check their strokes as they get older.

What is important is to make sure their writing equipment doesn't hinder them as left-handers move across the page in a different way. Get pens/pencils that move smoothly across the page. When they are learning how to write a new word, write the example either on TOP of the page, or on the right hand side, otherwise their writing hand will be covering it and they will have to keep lifting their hands up to see the sample. There are also tips on handwriting positions for lefthanders on the internet that are worth a look.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Castle House » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 am

Yes.. agree.. the hand that reaches out at the initial instinct will be the dominant hand.. in his case will be his left hand..

DS is also left handed.. we forced him to use his right hand but he will use back his left hand later..

He will also hold fork using his left hand.. all others will be right hand...

Not to worry..

Castle House
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sall » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 am

I'm left-handed and I never have any problems writing. Left-handers may hold the pen differently but it's not a problem so long as the handwriting is neat. I strongly urge parents not to force their kids to use their right hands if they are left-handed. It can adversely affect their mental development.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Wan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:29 am

My son is left-handed since birth. He writes & eats with left hand, except for clicking mouse with right hand. I surveyed most of my left handed friends. Most also didn't reconfigure mouse to left hand mouse, so I think it's fine. The rest of the family are right handed. So except for elbowing with the right hander on dining table, everything is fine.

On training, I hope u r not training a left hander to use right hand. Just guide him along. I found difficulty correcting his strokes esp Chinese. He writes right to left. Slowly as he goes to P1 next year bah...

Wan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:46 pm

I am left handed, so is my son, my brother is left-handed, my father is left-handed, 5 out of 6 aunties are left handed, all my brother's kids are left handed. And since we live in a righthanded world, all of us can write and eat with left and right and learn that just for fun.

Left or right is fine. Don't waste cycles on this. Worry about other things.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bigsnoopy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Don't correct your child when he/she is a left handed. People are paying money to get their children to use their right brain. If you are left handed, you are a right brainer. So already saving money ma.

bigsnoopy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Left-handed kids are smarter, no ?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:44 pm

UncleLim wrote:Left-handed kids are smarter, no ?

Ha ha, how we wish so. But don't know...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child