Parents/Kids Behaviour in Supermarket/Hypermart

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Parents/Kids Behaviour in Supermarket/Hypermart

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:45 pm

This topic has been on my mind for a long time, but just that I never found the time to start a thread on it. I have two pet peeves which I often see in the supermarket/hypermart like Giant and Carrefour. Wonder what do other parents think of them?

Scenario #1
Parent/s and kid/s pushing trolley down the aisles of the supermarket. Parent/s grab a packet of potato chips/biscuits or a bottle of drinks or a bottle of Vitagen or Milk from the shelf. Parent/s open it and give the item to their kid/s. Kids start consuming items while in the supermarket, of course item/s still unpaid. Parents tell kid/s, "Never mind, eat/drink first, Mummy will pay later".

Scenario #2
Parent/s allowing kid/s to treat the toys department of the Hypermart like a playgroud. Kids testing out bicycles, skateboards, waveboards etc, zooming down the aisles, enjoying themselves. Parents standing at the side, "admiring how smart their kids are", able to balance themselves on those items. Or kid/s taking the balls out from their display areas, bouncing them, kicking them, having great fun.

What's your take on the above 2 observations?

For me, I get very irritated with such parents.

In Scenario #1, are you teaching your kids that it is perfectly fine to take an item from the Supermarket shelves and consuming it before paying for the item/s?

In Scenario #2, hello, it's a departmental store, not a playground. Yes, testing if a bicycle is too high/too low for a child is alright, but to have a child cycling up and down the aisles without wanting to buy the bicycle is not. Same with bouncing and playing with those balls.

Re: Parents/Kids Behaviour in Supermarket/Hypermart

Postby Oppsgal » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Some folks even open up fruits (weight and price tagged) to 'test' them, so when we saw those people testing, we better not buy.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Dear Maid,
1. I do not bother what these parents do as what they do will have little impact on how i parent my childen. so long their activities does not endanger me and my children.

2. I am one of those parents who 'treat departmental store as playground'. So long whatever the kids do does not bother the sales person, they do not 'destroy' the toys or overuse/abuse the toys, get rowdy, or get in the way of or endanger shoppers, I am ok. (think along the lines of my boys trying out toys by pressing buttons to activate sounds and actions...yes, i do bring my kids to departmental stores to see toys with no intentions of buying anything for them.)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smurf » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm

Scenario 1:

For very young kids, its ok. I rather they do that (of course have to pay) than to create noise and disturb other patrons. Some kids will be quiet if there is food, sometimes mummy forgot to bring out food. Asking them to sit in trolley while mummy goes around the supermarket may be very boring for them. So, to make things easier, some mummies may do that.

Sceario2:

It's ok if the toys are display items and for trying only. Kids have to try out big item first before buying mah, else if buy already, go back, they chuck it aside then how? Of course cannot hog the display item for too long lah, other kids also need to try mah.

What piss me off is, some people (adult hor) opening FOOD item, usually perishable on cooler (those cannot seal back one), smell it and put back on the shelf!

Which one is worse?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:33 pm

I find both scenario unacceptable too.

Good habits are inculcated since young. Same for bad habits.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Jennifer wrote:I find both scenario unacceptable too.

Good habits are inculcated since young. Same for bad habits.

:goodpost: :celebrate:

Postby jtoh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:06 pm

I am completely against parents letting kids play on toys as a form of baby-sitting. It's just so annoying to other shoppers. If you have the intention of purchasing the toy, then by all means try it out. But you don't need to try it out for a LONG time.

It's the same with reading storybooks at Kinokuniya and Borders. Parents just leave their kids at the kids section with or without maids. I've heard parents tell the kids "you just stay here and read. I'll go shopping and come back for you later." Hello! This is not free babysitting.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:15 pm

jtoh wrote:I am completely against parents letting kids play on toys as a form of baby-sitting. It's just so annoying to other shoppers. If you have the intention of purchasing the toy, then by all means try it out. But you don't need to try it out for a LONG time.

Totally agree with you. Yes, it is alright to test out a toy/bicycle but like you said, is there a need to take such a LONG time to test it out?

Postby jedamum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm

but if you are not in the queue to want to try it (even if you are, you can approach the sales staff for help), why deprive these other kids from having fun if they are not rowdy? (if rowdy of course not acceptable la). i am not sure of the situation, cos it can also be the case where the parents were undecided or unwilling to buy the bike and hope that the kid can outgrow his interest after numerous times of trying it out. let the sales staff handle such things. why get irritated?
on and off, we bring our kids to Big Toy Stores to 'play' toys (luckily it is big, so the amount of time we spent at each section should not cause any significant distress to shoppers) and we don't always buy any. We can't afford to buy and don't want to splurge on toys, so we bring them to 'try them out' at Toy Stores until the sales person chases us away (or, we can detect annoying looks).
i feel more sad than irritated when i see the kid trying out the toy for a long time but the parent did not or could not buy it for him. which kid would only want to try out the toy and not own it? it is the parents who are in the way of their 'happiness' :evil:. but there are also parents who gave in every time their kids whine for their fav toys. r they doing the right thing? seeing kids trying out the toy for a long time and after their parent told them that time's up and they leave without whining, shouldn't they get a pad on the back?
of course, the above don't apply to abuse to the stuff that they 'played'. my kids know that they had to take care of these shelve items even if they want to play with them. they have to make sure that they return it to the correct shelf after use (those Fisherprice toys price real ex!).
paisay, only my POV.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sall » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Kids are kids, when they try on the bikes or basketballs or whatever, they will get carried away and get very rowdy. They will also bang into shelves or worse, other shoppers. They will not get bored and decide not to pester their parents to buy for them. For most of them, the parents have no intention of buying. I feel that it is wrong to play with all the toys or bikes and then leave. Some toys got spoiled and I often see the boxes are all so torn-up. How the store sells it to another customer? It's just not fair to the store.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child