Activites and ideas to do with the young toddler at home

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Activites and ideas to do with the young toddler at home

Postby dozalot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:29 pm

I am very fortunate to be a SAHM but I'm running out of ideas and becoming very lazy. Hopefully people here can give suggestions or even direct me to some blogs or books that I can read up.

At home, I do the usual, reading, flashcards, some dvds...but I feel they're not enough and also I get real bored doing the same things. Eventually I bring him out alot (which is not good as he does not get stimulated) as I could tell he's so bored at home and so am I.

dozalot
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby lovecitylondon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 am

I find going for some sort of pre-school or enrichment courses beneficial, not only for my kid but also for me! lol, learn a lot from the teachers in school as to what to do at home.

Perhaps some swimming classes, or indoors courses such as music or drama may help? THe child will bring what he learns back home, so he has other ideas on how to play/enjoy at home too.

lovecitylondon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Activites and ideas to do with the young toddler at home

Postby jedamum » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:58 am

dozalot wrote:Eventually I bring him out alot (which is not good as he does not get stimulated) as I could tell he's so bored at home and so am I.

On the contrary, going out can be very stimulating! The kid get to engage in alot of his senses and get to exercise too! I would love to bring my boy out often if only I have the stamina to chase him around - I can usually only last 2 hours alone outside with him.

How old is your kid?

Have you seen this?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mintcc » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:39 am

On the contrary, going out can be very stimulating! The kid get to engage in alot of his senses and get to exercise too!

yes, agree with jedamum that going outside is very stimulating for kids. Be it go shopping or to the park or playground or the library. If can see little animals even better. So go out is good lah. If your kid is big enough can put him in a child safe playground then you can just relax.

At home, I am quite tempted to put him in front of the TV too but if have to stay at home every day need to be equipped with enought toys and books and different things to do. Different kids are interested with different things so it might be useful to see what kind of things he loves doing best. e.g. My kid love puzzles so he can be quite and fix his jigsaw for half an hour, some of my collegue's kids can build legos forever. Other wise, activties like blowing bubbles and baking and watching youtube movies can also pass quite some time.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby dozalot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:31 pm

my son just turned 16 months. So I supposed there's only more things to do when he's older? I feel guilty that I am not doing enough but at the same time, I get very tired and run out of ideas. Going out he's always in the pram and he's brain not working much? Yesterday, I had the car so I brought him to the airport and let him walk. I bring him to some classes, every thurs, I meet up with a group of moms and we go to the playgym. It's at home, I feel I should do more to teach him e.g He can't point at his body parts yet and I feel that it's my fault because I didnt really teach him consistently.

dozalot
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby pinky » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:25 am

Bring him to the library. They do have story telling sessions for young
kids too.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:56 am

dozalot wrote:my son just turned 16 months. So I supposed there's only more things to do when he's older? I feel guilty that I am not doing enough but at the same time, I get very tired and run out of ideas. Going out he's always in the pram and he's brain not working much? Yesterday, I had the car so I brought him to the airport and let him walk. I bring him to some classes, every thurs, I meet up with a group of moms and we go to the playgym. It's at home, I feel I should do more to teach him e.g He can't point at his body parts yet and I feel that it's my fault because I didnt really teach him consistently.

Hi dozalot, don't feel guilty, sounds to me you are doing quite a bit with him. Going out to play gym and play clubs are great. I never had a pram and find it easier to carry him in a baby carrier and let DS come down and walk as an when easier when he was 1 + year old. Things he enjoyed then include taking the bus, going to libraries. We borrow books from the library and each new set of books do keep him occupied for some time.

Other than reading, it is also fun to play singing and do finger play. or just play with paper boxes from products we buy. He spent lots of time opening/closing and tearing them at that age. Blocks is also dun to play together. Show him how to stack and roll the cylinder to him and back.

If you are worried about him not recognising body parts yet, sing Heads and sholders Knees and toes with him with the action or read the relevant books to him. My boy had flip a flap book called "where is baby's belly button" which is very cute and fun and he learned the body parts there quite easily. As for DVDs, my holy grail for "mummy tired baby bored time" is the baby signing time and signing time series- which teach songs and words with action and the whole family love the series. It helps us to communicate better and is lots of fun to watch. Here's a review and utube video from the series
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/signing-times

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby icemountain » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:59 pm

[Moderator's note: Topic selected for Portal publication.]

On the contrary, I see boredom as a good thing. Boredom means the child gets the chance to exercise his creativity.

Please do not think you have to constantly stimulate your child or be more "productive" in engaging him. When my kids were this age, they love nothing more than digging into drawers, boxes, cupboards etc. These are great learning experiences.

Instead of TV, my kids are outdoors alot. They come with me wherever I go, whether it is to the market, to the nearby store, to the post office or simply to get mail.

Being SAHM means you have many opportunities to get out and about. Your children will learn so much about the world from being just getting on public transport, watching you buy groceries, interacting with strangers etc. We often go to parks, beaches and other spots of nature during weekdays where it's so peaceful and quiet.

Get quality toys that allow for open-ended learning. Forget about electronic ones. Sit back, relax and watch him play. My kids do lots of fantasy play ie cooking, cleaning, taking the doll out for a stroll etc. They also play puzzles, blocks, lego, some art and craft if I can be bothered.

And oh, read, read, read to your child. This and the suggestions above are good enough to engage him.

icemountain
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dozalot » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Thank you Mincy and Icemountain. Very good suggestions!

dozalot
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby buds » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:19 am

Heyya dozalot,

Make use of free trials from nice playgroups!
Hehee! If you start to like any one of those
you went together with, there are places
that do drop off sessions and parent sessions.
Its okay to feel tired with em' kiddies sometimes.
And its okay to take a break!
:wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child