How to raise your kid's IQ

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to raise your kid's IQ

Postby pinky » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:22 am

Would like to share with parent what I read from an article regarding steps to raise kid's IQ:
1. Critical period of intellectual development - bet 8 and 18 months
2. Mother is the most important influence to a child during this period
3. TALK to your child as much as possible- will help to develop their linguistic, intellectual and social skills.
4. Give kids free access at home - they progress better than those whose
movements are restricted.
5. Strengthen family ties, improve interactions among family members
6. To be best parents- a. design and organise good environment for kids
b. permit kids to interrupt for comfort and
exchange info for brief 30-sec episodes
c. firm disciplinarians
Looks like they're back to basics and ultimately it is up to us parents to
nurture our kids ourselves and not to outsource the task to endless
workshops and enrichment lessons. Your opinion please.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:28 pm

When you talk to your child, NEVER EVER baby-talk. Talk to them like an adult. It does not matter whether the toddler understands your words, the impt thing is that she gets exposed to the language, properly. In this light, don't allow others, aunties, grandmas, etc. to baby-talk to your child. Speak in proper sentences, unless you deliberately want your child to grow up speaking incorrect English.

And one of the MOST important thing a child needs for healthy growth, including intellectually: SLEEP.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 pm

sashimi wrote:And one of the MOST important thing a child needs for healthy growth, including intellectually: SLEEP.

This sleep must be prolonged, sustained sleep. Not the kind that the child takes in short naps, and then you add up the total number of hours. And the sleep must come at acceptable times, for example, for our DD when she was a baby, bedtime was by 8pm. This continued for a number of years actually until I started working again and we had to adjust. Now, at 7 years, our DD still has about 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night and she wakes up at about 630am on schooldays willingly and refreshed.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:23 pm

schellen wrote:Now, at 7 years, our DD still has about 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night and she wakes up at about 630am on schooldays willingly and refreshed.

My 7yo although have close to 9hrs of uninterrupted sleep everynight, always have difficulty waking up leh... :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby heutistmeintag » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Hmm interesting. I thought IQ is something that you are born with and what we could do is to develop the IQ into some capabilities.

Pinky, does the article mention how many IQ points can be raised by doing all those stuff? :?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:36 pm

that's why enrichments advocating right brain development are booming businesses

I suppose brain development means higher IQ?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:17 am

To heutistmeintag
Nope, the writer did not mention in his article. Personally, I think these
are some ways that we parents can help to create a more conducive
environment for our kids to learn, grow and flourish= increasing their
intelligence. So I don't advocate
putting target to measure their achievements like what you mentioned.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 pm

jedamum wrote:My 7yo although have close to 9hrs of uninterrupted sleep everynight, always have difficulty waking up leh... :roll:

My DH will be groggy at first. I tend to shake her till she responds and give her five more minutes. Five minutes later, I return to drag her out of bed. I can't carry her so I just steer her to the bathroom where I strip her, then she automatically goes to the toilet bowl and sits down. When she's done, I dress her so she's like an animated mannequin; moving her arms, legs, etc. when needed. Then, I leave her to doze a bit on my bed or she will go sit down at her table for breakfast. When I'm done making the beds and picking up dirty clothing, I go to her at the table and she's fully awake and generally in a good mood.

Ya, she's like a grumbly sleepyhead one moment and a chirpy energiser bunny the next. Don't know how the switch occurs though. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:48 pm

jedamum wrote:
schellen wrote:Now, at 7 years, our DD still has about 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night and she wakes up at about 630am on schooldays willingly and refreshed.

My 7yo although have close to 9hrs of uninterrupted sleep everynight, always have difficulty waking up leh... :roll:

hahaha, tell me about it...mine same age sleeping 10-12 hrs nightly and still have difficulty waking up! :lol:

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:51 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:Hmm interesting. I thought IQ is something that you are born with and what we could do is to develop the IQ into some capabilities.

Pinky, does the article mention how many IQ points can be raised by doing all those stuff? :?

I don't think IQ can be raised but it can be unleashed...

Next

Return to Working With Your Child