Is it too much?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Is it too much?

Postby snowman.697 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Just got screwed by my dad for sending 701 texts this month. Hr doesn't seem to believe that 701 texts is very little compared to other teens. So okay, fine, my mum said I could ask other parents and children to strengthen my point. So how much does your teenage daughter/son SMS per month, and do you give them unlimited SMS (ie youth plan)?

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Is it too much?

Postby sall » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 pm

My dd exceeded her 500 sms every month, could be worse than yours. But I got to wait until her current contract is up, then I'll change it to the youth plan for the unlimited sms.
Why don't you ask your parents to change yours to youth plan?

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PiggyLalala » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Yup.. unlimited SMS for my son

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowman.697 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:44 pm

They say it'll affect my studies, which is odd, because I know people who exceed 1000+ every month yet are better than me in terms of results. He seems to be the only one that takes this extremely seriously...

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LOLMum » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:21 am

dd exceeded 700 as well twice in fact.

though we know the hp is very very important to kids, there must be a line drawn somewhere.

she is a teenager and i strongly believe we need to limit her use to teach her to use her limited usage in a smart way and to control her addictive usage iif it is unlimited sms.

it is so silly to waste a sms with text like "ok","nite nite" etc. for example, everytime dd goes for tuition, she has to text me once she reaches the classroom. but she will sms messages like "going up the escalator now", "about to enter class", or something that is irrelavant.

now she will just call me on my cell phone, let it ring once and hang up. by this i know she is in class. it actually saves her about more than 30 sms per month with me. now she is learning to see if a reply is necessary before blindly smsing her friends.

if i text someone and it doesnt need a reply, i will always add "no need to reply to text" at the end.

your parents are doing it right. i certainly dont think they are unreasonable. you should take a good look at all the smses you have sent out and ask yourself do you really need to send them?

also pls dont compare with others, there are many others out there who have lower usage. as you said, your friends exceeded 1k sms and results are better than yours, so are you saying if your sms exceed 1k, your results will be better than theirs? :?

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:30 am

LOLMum wrote:dd exceeded 700 as well twice in fact.

though we know the hp is very very important to kids, there must be a line drawn somewhere.

she is a teenager and i strongly believe we need to limit her use to teach her to use her limited usage in a smart way and to control her addictive usage iif it is unlimited sms.

it is so silly to waste a sms with text like "ok","nite nite" etc. for example, everytime dd goes for tuition, she has to text me once she reaches the classroom. but she will sms messages like "going up the escalator now", "about to enter class", or something that is irrelavant.

now she will just call me on my cell phone, let it ring once and hang up. by this i know she is in class. it actually saves her about more than 30 sms per month with me. now she is learning to see if a reply is necessary before blindly smsing her friends.

if i text someone and it doesnt need a reply, i will always add "no need to reply to text" at the end.

your parents are doing it right. i certainly dont think they are unreasonable. you should take a good look at all the smses you have sent out and ask yourself do you really need to send them?

also pls dont compare with others, there are many others out there who have lower usage. as you said, your friends exceeded 1k sms and results are better than yours, so are you saying if your sms exceed 1k, your results will be better than theirs? :?

thanks for the good tips.These tips I can use when my kids reach teen.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:35 am

Hi snowman.697!
Please always compare with lower than u.Then u feel better.A man worry about he doesn't has shoes until he sees a man without leg.So happy with what u have.Most important think learn to save money at young its help in ur future life.
Some people educated earn a good money but they suffer by debt.Think.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vicki » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:38 am

Get watsapp??

vicki
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby meiah » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:37 am

My ds? Less than 100. He has the 500 sms data plan. Then again, he does not sms so many simply cos he doesn't bother to reply! Sometimes he won't even reply to mine!

As for yours, if u break 701 down to per day, I suppose it's about 23 a day. Not that bad I think.

meiah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby snowman.697 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:15 am

vicki wrote:Get watsapp??

Thanks for all the replies , much appreciated! :) no I can't get whatsapp, firstly I am using a crap nokia, secondly I'm not on any data plan neither do I have mobile broadband. Personally if I don't want a rely I just add "no need to reply" at the end. And about 1/6 of these messages is for sgbeat (update Facebook and twitter via SMS) so if u look at it it's not much at all. Some others are when my fellow bus enthusiasts message me about something rare or vice versa. I've already tried to reduce my messages in fact a year ago I had 1000+. I know my dad means good but is there a need to confiscate my phone if I message even less than others -_- obviously it might seem a lot to him but keep in mind that he is 43 years old and I am 13. When they were young they didn't have mobile phones. Now that they own mobile phones as working adults do they actually "chat" with their friends via SMS? Our parents and us use messaging for a different purpose. We use it to chat (and gossip albeit that's not really the case for me) mostly but they talk about work related issues and maybe send messages to their children. So obviously to us 700 is not much but to them it may seem like a lot

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child