Child finds class & lessons boring

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Child finds class & lessons boring

Postby 1978 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:49 am

One day after his Chinese enrichment class, he said he was so bored in class because he already knew what was being taught. He said he is also bored with the lessons in school (Pri 1), but luckily he has friends to play with.

As I am unable to coach him in Chinese, I enrolled him in Chinese enrichment for regular weekly practice. I asked if the school can put him in a more challenging class. His school commented that although he is a fast learner, he is not the top in class, based on test results. But all I want for him is to enjoy while learn something new and stimulating, doesn't matter if he tops or not.

What should I do now? (Currently he only takes Chinese enrichment as his English and Maths skills are quite adequate. He practises on Pri 2 assessment books at home by himself)

YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Child finds class & lessons boring

Postby UncleLim » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Ditch that school and find another one. Your son's boredom is a sign that he needs more challenging stuff. I personally do not believe in test results.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:37 am

i agree. Find another enrichment centre which will challenge him.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Picolo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 am

Agree. There are many enrichment centres around. Find one that suits him.
No way I'm to pay for my sons to sit through lessons they find boring...

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby heyhoe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 am

Alternatively, find a private tutor who's able to stimulate his learning interest?

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pingsped » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:07 pm

erm, stop Chinese enrichment since he is only in P1 and doesn't seem to have a language difficulty.

pingsped
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 1978 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Thanks. Since his current enrichment school is skeptical about level skipping. I've intended to put him in berries for a change after a trial. Less 'serious' classroom stuff. Same level, but guess its more fun, so he likes it better. (I'm uncomfortable in stopping Chinese enrichment perhaps because we are not so adequate in it) Now, just not sure if berries bishan or orchard is better. I'm skeptical about private tutors credibilty, I don't know why.

YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Melonrange » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:42 pm

If your child finds class and lessons boring, it might be with the Teacher's teaching style. Some teachers are naggy and children find it ' sian ' to be hearing the same words the teacher has been saying over the past few days. I believe the teachers just want your child to listen to his/her words and not turn them into a deaf ear. In young schooling days, children might not be able to understand what the teachers are trying to put in them. As they grow older, they will be able to understand and reflect upon themselves. Some teachers for example my form teacher in P6 last year, often took us to the computer labs to let us learn in an conducive environment in an air-conditioned room. It inspires children to learn more and not feel bored in those lessons.

Melonrange
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby 1978 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:55 am

Btw, pulled him out of Berries Bishan after a term. His male teacher was always joking to the class in nonsensical manner. Children enjoyed his class so much while I frowned about the improper use of language and context. Admin manager is quite unfriendly too. Am trying eduplus next.....the quest for enrichment school never ends.

YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 am

I think you should have a talk with his school teacher to find out why your son thinks that the lessons are boring?

It might be better to get an enrichment centre that focuses on in-depth learning of the subject rather than one that gives a lot of worksheets and "extras". Personally, I think that breadth of knowledge is not as important as depth of knowledge.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child