Are comments in report books to be believed?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Are comments in report books to be believed?

Postby Lilac66 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:06 pm

What do you parents think of comments given by teachers in report books? Are they usually good and diplomatic? My child gets complaints now and then by teachers (though not that often), but the report book seems to have quite a glowing comment about him. Just wondering if it's true or the teachers don't want to write something negative in report books. Any parent has feedback that is not that "positive" and true about your child?

Lilac66
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Are comments in report books to be believed?

Postby cnimed » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:16 am

I think it depends on the school principal, but relatives who are in the teaching line tell me that they are not allowed to write anything negative, so that would be three different schools with the same policy. If it's too negative they have to re-write it. So "talkative" becomes something like "interactive" or "expressive". One elderly relative will write glowing reports (must go through principal), but during PTM, he will ask the parents if they want his honest appraisal verbally.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sall » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

The school principal orders the teachers to write very good comments. So a talkative and disruptive student can become enthusiastic and contribute actively in class. Another student who sleeps in class becomes a deep thinker. In one school, the principal even adds on some more glowing comments in the students' testimonials. These students do not deserve such compliments at all. The principal does not know these students at all.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:55 am

well, but report books follow the child through life. that said, I do sympathise with the teacher becos they have to be PC (politically correct) or face grilling from displeased parents.

I would say the old adage should hold true - if one doesn't have anything good to say, keep quiet. A bit pointless to turn the negative to positive.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:00 am

hquek wrote:I would say the old adage should hold true - if one doesn't have anything good to say, keep quiet. A bit pointless to turn the negative to positive.

no wonder i keep getting 'a quiet student', 'hardworking' these one-liners all those primary schooling years!!! i think those teachers didn't even know me at all! :cry:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 am

jedamum wrote:
hquek wrote:I would say the old adage should hold true - if one doesn't have anything good to say, keep quiet. A bit pointless to turn the negative to positive.

no wonder i keep getting 'a quiet student', 'hardworking' these one-liners all those primary schooling years!!! i think those teachers didn't even know me at all! :cry:

Times have changed, jedamum. I used to get 2 lines in my report card, now my child gets 5-6 lines in hers and they are all typed out in small fonts.

Postby Brenda10 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 am

ksi wrote:
jedamum wrote:

Times have changed, jedamum. I used to get 2 lines in my report card, now my child gets 5-6 lines in hers and they are all typed out in small fonts.

If you got any A* in the record book that the principal will add some more remarks on addition to teacher remarks!

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 am

Brenda10 wrote:
ksi wrote:
jedamum wrote:no wonder i keep getting 'a quiet student', 'hardworking' these one-liners all those primary schooling years!!! i think those teachers didn't even know me at all! :cry:

If you got any A* in the record book that the principal will add some more remarks on addition to teacher remarks!

Principal's remarks during our time, we also have already....maybe that time Principal very "eng". :lol:

Postby tankee » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:42 am

which parents want to read negative comments about their little prince or princess?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Brenda10 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:46 am

ksi wrote:Principal's remarks during our time, we also have already....maybe that time Principal very "eng". :lol:

Now principal is very on lah! Even collected some onsponge book from dd class and personally go through! Also petrolling more to P6 classes this year! :nunchuk:

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child