Idea to change a child from introvert to extrovert?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Idea to change a child from introvert to extrovert?

Postby fohope » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:47 am

Just wonder is it possible to change them from introvert to extrovert?
Could anyone contribute ideas to change them.

fohope
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Idea to change a child from introvert to extrovert?

Postby genie23 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:22 am

i dont think its possible to change a childs intrinsic character - i can share my DD1 is introvert by nature - just as i am. But i think the following help:
(i) I adjust my expectations of her. So while DS can run up to other kids n make friends, i have to introduce her to another child to make the 1st step. Sometimes she can take it from there, sometimes she cant and thats fine.
(ii) I teach her poems & songs & at family gatherings such as brothers wedding or nephews christening, i ask the MC to let her take the mike (i hold the mike for her as it helps her to know i am near). The applause helps build her confidence.
(iii) when we meet acquaintances, i always remind her to greet them. She does very coyly n can barely hear her, again that fine. Once she is familiar with them she will chatter away anyway.
(iv) at restaurants, in stores, i get her to order her own meal/pay at the cashier etc.
(v) Also i demonstrate by action by being friendly & smiling at people even though i am not an extrovert. Once at an event for families, i was just pulled out of the crowd to perform on stage & i did as though i was a life-long performer! Only i knew how uncomfortable i was!

Finally, i've been told by my college-going sister that my daughter is a lot more "extrovert" when i am not around. So i figured that maybe i am a bit too protective or she just takes "refuge" when i am around.

Just sharing my experience - dont know if its right or wrong.

genie23
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MadScientist » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:34 am

I think genie23 got a good formula, which I would have employed similarly as well.

Just add on that at some point, talk and share about the "uncomfortable" feeling you have... It makes it clear to the child that feeling fear is ok as mummy is human too... Importantly, it's what mummy does in the face of fear that matters!

All the best!

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby genie23 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:15 am

Thanks MadScientist. Thats a very good point which i didnt think off!

One thing my boss shared with me, she does role-plays with her daughter. So if her daughter complains of being teased by a classmate, mother will take on her daughters role & daughter will take on the bully role. So the mother gives some tips on how to react.

I tried this with my daughter but she doesn't support. So will try again some other time!

genie23
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 am

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MadScientist » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:24 am

genie23 wrote:Thanks MadScientist. Thats a very good point which i didnt think off!

One thing my boss shared with me, she does role-plays with her daughter. So if her daughter complains of being teased by a classmate, mother will take on her daughters role & daughter will take on the bully role. So the mother gives some tips on how to react.

I tried this with my daughter but she doesn't support. So will try again some other time!

No worries... That's why KSP is around...

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fohope » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi all,

Glad to receive so many good tips from all of you. Thanks a lot from the bottom of my heart.

fohope
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiddo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:10 pm

I am an introvert very much so in many social situation.
My DS naturally good or not inherited my introvert nature,

So I set to manage DS introvert nature , i facilitate his
independent from the time he is in playschool, btw I am not aware
he is introvert but creating an indepedent nature does help to build
an introvert self confident in dealing with situation.

Being a single child is also not good help for an introvert :faint:
I facilitate him --- bringing his whole gang of friends whenever possible,
to our home to play or sleep over , create as much social interaction
as possible for introvert child , it hone their social skill as introvert
are naturally more shy people.

He join scout group goes on tours , provide as much front line
presentation, if your DD agree Speech and Drama class is a good
enrichment class for introvert - manage fear of facing people and act :scratchhead:

AT 15 now DS compare with myself at 15 was a world of different
between these 2 introvert.

Hope I shed some light for you :please: :hi5:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:06 pm

KELLY2009 wrote:Just wonder is it possible to change them from introvert to extrovert?

I just keep sending her to whatever ad hoc programmes where she gets to meet new people each time rather than stick to regular classes. And keep encouraging her, asking her how many 'new' friends she made in that class. Even if she said she spoke to 1 person, I'm happy that she took the initiative to open herself up. Along the way, I managed to persuade her to attend speech & drama class.

Although I won't say she's an extrovert, she's no longer timid or shy. Took many many years to finally see some concrete result. At least now she dares to speak her mind when required & is willing to give presentation as long as she's sufficiently prepared

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiddo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:30 am

sleepy wrote:
KELLY2009 wrote:Just wonder is it possible to change them from introvert to extrovert?

Although I won't say she's an extrovert, she's no longer timid or shy. Took many many years to finally see some concrete result. At least now she dares to speak her mind when required & is willing to give presentation as long as she's sufficiently prepared

All the intervention and hardwork and small step pay
in the long run :hi5: :hugs:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child