Taking a break with your child?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Taking a break with your child?

Postby nani » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Do you have any issues with the above? How many of you here has difficulty planning a break with your child? Eg. a short getaway holiday, a relaxing day out etc. Are your teens willing to go with you? Am asking here not because my children doesn't need that 'break' but because of their school work load/projects/dateline that is causing them so stress that they can't even afford to travel nor take a break!! I've spoke to parents that say they can't plan a break because of their child schedule, the kids are afraid of the back log that they going to face after a break. Is this what the Singapore Youth is all about? Do you think the education system is taking too much at the expense of the family time?

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Taking a break with your child?

Postby Chenonceau » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:35 pm

nani wrote:Do you have any issues with the above? How many of you here has difficulty planning a break with your child? Eg. a short getaway holiday, a relaxing day out etc. Are your teens willing to go with you? Am asking here not because my children doesn't need that 'break' but because of their school work load/projects/dateline that is causing them so stress that they can't even afford to travel nor take a break!! I've spoke to parents that say they can't plan a break because of their child schedule, the kids are afraid of the back log that they going to face after a break. Is this what the Singapore Youth is all about? Do you think the education system is taking too much at the expense of the family time?

Yup! In secondary school, it is a problem. We force the issue a bit and insist on family time.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nani » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:45 am

Not sure if this topic should be here or move to Secondary?

Anyone else feels the same? I'm feeling very suffocated with the Singapore education. Unfortunately, migrating or international school is not an option for us :(

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:58 pm

I don't feel too suffocated by it. Teens have a lotta energy and I thought it was nice that they had plenty of activities to occupy them. And 4 years back, my DD had a choice whether or not to extend and expend herself. And generally, we COULD say no to unreasonable holiday activities. This may have changed now. However, DD still ended up in hospital from lack of time to rest.

What I don't like is when the same thing happens in primary school.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child