Whats the 1 thing that your child do that irks you most?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Whats the 1 thing that your child do that irks you most?

Postby MLR » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:34 pm

.....And you can't get them to stop.

Mine is DS's love with water, especially keep the tap running when brushing his teeth despite hving a rinsing cup. Each time we turn off the tap, he will throw a tantrum, a couple of times ended with him vomitting with all the screaming and crying. I have resort to hving him brush his teeth in the shower stall where he did turn the tap on once and gotten himself all wet.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Whats the 1 thing that your child do that irks you most?

Postby heutistmeintag » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 am

MLR wrote: I have resort to hving him brush his teeth in the shower stall where he did turn the tap on once and gotten himself all wet.

Was that intentionally to get him wet? :salute: Naughty mum! :wink:

For son, I get very unhappy when he leaves a trails of "rubbish" and not tidying up. When I remind him, he will say ok but not move his butt to do it. :x

For daughter, she likes to play dumb and :roll: when she is told to do something she doesnt like. :stupid:

I realized that the older they grow, they will adopt and adapt more tricks to counter parents. :? , sometimes I also cant help smiling at their creativity.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:49 pm

BROKEN ENGLISH, thanks to the use of Singlish in childcare environments. Esp. use of present tense when past tense is required.

Also, that stupid, idiotic totally unnecessary "go and". As in "I go and play at the playground". "I go and eat dinner". "He go and hit me". :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:28 pm

sashimi wrote:BROKEN ENGLISH, thanks to the use of Singlish in childcare environments. Esp. use of present tense when past tense is required.

Also, that stupid, idiotic totally unnecessary "go and". As in "I go and play at the playground". "I go and eat dinner". "He go and hit me". :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

DS learns to use the word "and ah" in cc too. Its driving DH nuts, he went and complaint to cc's principal. To which she reply: "I always commend that Casey (DS) is a good example, and the other children should learn from him. Hes one of our best english speaking children". :faint: We weren't looking for compliments......

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sashimi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:35 pm

I get the same thing! Teachers have all told me how my DD is among the best in English!

Actually it's no wonder true Singaporeans ultimately grow up knowing how to switch between proper English and Singlish, but master of neither (well, not English anyway).

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Whats the 1 thing that your child do that irks you most?

Postby MLR » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:36 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:

Was that intentionally to get him wet? :salute: Naughty mum! :wink:

For son, I get very unhappy when he leaves a trails of "rubbish" and not tidying up. When I remind him, he will say ok but not move his butt to do it. :x

For daughter, she likes to play dumb and :roll: when she is told to do something she doesnt like. :stupid:

I realized that the older they grow, they will adopt and adapt more tricks to counter parents. :? , sometimes I also cant help smiling at their creativity.

Yes, I decide to let him be uncomfortable standing in wet clothes, so that he won't try it again.

I learn from my mom that the constant yelling and nagging stopped being effective after a while. Her method is to give warning, after which its a form of punishment like hv to mop with cloth the whole house/wash toilet for the whole month or the ultimate 50% cut in pocket money always did the trick with us 3. We learn from young that if you do your part, then won't hv to suffer, cos the punishment is for all 3, not just the one who didn't do her/his part. So we would help each other to avoid the punishment.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurf » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:04 pm

oh, my boy likes to talk in Singlish! I can't stop him from saying, then ah, I go and ah, I want that one, I dun want to play this one, I go and play lah,no lah, this/that one lor...etc.

can't help it, especially when the environment is like that. :|

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:22 pm

As slow as a snail lor

My girl can take 1 hour to eat her lunch (unless I feed her).
She likes to idle, absolutely no sense of urgency, no concept of time

She has been late for school 90% of the time since the beginning of term 1. Really made me fume :x

Luckily my younger one is a kan cheong spider 8)

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MLR » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:25 pm

sashimi wrote:I get the same thing! Teachers have all told me how my DD is among the best in English!

Actually it's no wonder true Singaporeans ultimately grow up knowing how to switch between proper English and Singlish, but master of neither (well, not English anyway).

DH says exactly the same thing. He is seriously considering sending DS to live with his sister in US, who is a teacher. I told him no way, cos he is S'porean, so no harm to learn some Singlish, just do not use it in writing.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MLR » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:29 pm

sleepy wrote:As slow as a snail lor

My girl can take 1 hour to eat her lunch (unless I feed her).
She likes to idle, absolutely no sense of urgency, no concept of time

She has been late for school 90% of the time since the beginning of term 1. Really made me fume :x

Luckily my younger one is a kan cheong spider 8)

Its quite amazing how 2 come from same factory, but so different rite??!!
At least your girl will not suffer from high blood pressure.

DH same as your girl, where me the kan cheong spider. I always think that the rest of the world is using the same clock where his is somewat slower or more than 24 hrs a day.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child