How to train kids to slp early?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to train kids to slp early?

Postby e3nity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Didnt managed to find a thread on training kids to :snooze: early.. DS is gg P1 next year.. I've been trying to train DS to :snooze: early and on time.. But its always me who slps 1st.. How do we train kids to :snooze: early?? I ask DS to count :dancing: it didn't work.. Drag him into the room early oso didnt work.. sometimes even got to :spank:.. DS CC still insist kids to slp if they want to during nap time... Any good and effective tips to share on how to train kids to slp at 9pm??? :shrug:

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: How to train kids to slp early?

Postby Mrsbongz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 pm

What time does he wake up? My kids have a fixed bed time since they r 2yrs. Used to sleep at 8 then 830, then now 9.30pm. Sometimes the child does not need that much sleep as they get older. If u r preparing him for morning session, maybe u can get him to wake up earlier?

What i do is that 15min before bedtime, they have to wind down. Keep everything by then, and the time is spent with mommy reading to them. Lights r dimmed, toilet etc all done,no distractios. This routine since young helps calm them down, n let them know it's time to sleep. Even if they r not sleepy, they r not allowed to get up or chit chat or I will whip out the cane :nunchuk: hahaha... After a while they r used to it, no need to scold they will also fall asleep. Either that or I'm too boring till they fall asleep lah :rotflmao:

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MadScientist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:20 pm

First and foremost... YOU cannot fall asleep.

Next, pare down the afternoon naps.

Then, as Mrsbongz apt put it... No major activity before sleeping.

The best part is this...
Get the kids to play a game with you...
They are to lie down face up with hands touching the mattress. With eyes closed, take 5 deep breaths and release slowly... As they are breathing out, ask them to count down, 5, 4, 3... In their minds, not aloud.
Then breath as gently as possible...
Then ask them to clear their mind... To think of nothing, to see a blank.
Their focus should be on listening to their breathing and your voice.
Tell them that they are tired, and their bodies need them to rest.

This is a relaxation exercise which you should first practice. Once you get it, you know how to describe to your child.
How to know if you are right on track?
You should feel a numbing feeling or even loss of sensitive feelings on you hands and feet.

Once the feeling is such that the body is heavy, turn to one side... The favourite side... Sleeping should be easier then.

Do it for yourself to experience,... Then do a couple of practices with your child... And then at night before they sleep.

Hope that helps. ;)

PS counting sheep... Counting UP, actually keeps the mind awake!

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:12 pm

I think the naps at the CC could be getting in the way of an early night. If your child is taking a nap, then, maybe he really doesn't need to sleep as early. DS1 goes to bed between 8 and 830pm and he's usually zzzzz by 9pm. He wakes up at 6:45am. He doesn't nap. Dinner is at 5:45pm, bath time is at 6:45pm, then after that, he's got plenty of time to wind down.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby e3nity » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:40 pm

His CC still insist that kids take nap.. DS wakes up at about 7.30am every morning and sleeps at about 12++.. the earliest he slps is at 11pm.. I'm just hoping that he will be asleep by 9.30pm-10pm.. May not be early but its the earliest we can manage for the time being.. We fetch DS frm CC by 7pm.. Reach hme by 7.30-8pm.. Shower and Dinner by 8pm-8.30pm.. 8.30pm-9pm TV time.. 9pm Study Time and hopefully 10pm bed time..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 pm

He should be getting 10-12 hrs of sleep a day (incl. naps). So, assuming he naps for an hour at the CC, 930pm - 10 pm is indeed a good time for him to sleep. But it's hard to transition from 12 to 10 overnight. You can try to shift his bedtime forward by 15 mins at a time. Try this in addition to the rest of the suggestions and see how it goes?

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Return to Working With Your Child