Nature or Nuture

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Nature or Nuture

Postby cteo101 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:40 pm

I know this has been a question that has been asked since the beginning of time, but is it the natural ability of the child that is important? or is the environment that makes the big difference?

Any opinions?

i've been on the fence on this topic for such a long time, just wanna hear what other people think

cteo101
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Nature or Nuture

Postby tankee » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:55 pm

IMO

Nature defines the potentials

Nuture turns these potentials into abilities

tankee
Site Admin

Postby UncleLim » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Nature to score A.

Nurture to make that an A* ?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I think environment plays a huge role. Read somewhere most babies start with similar level of IQ. 0 to 3 years old is the most important stage of their brain development. By 6 years old, IQ level is more or less 'fixed'. If want to nurture, need to start as early as possible. Or better still, begin when baby still in tummy :wink:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby coast » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:42 am

sleepy wrote:I think environment plays a huge role. Read somewhere most babies start with similar level of IQ. 0 to 3 years old is the most important stage of their brain development. By 6 years old, IQ level is more or less 'fixed'. If want to nurture, need to start as early as possible. Or better still, begin when baby still in tummy :wink:

Yes, that's very important but there are late bloomers too. Keep them motivated with the right support. Kids are fast learner :)

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cnimed » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:00 am

tankee wrote:IMO

:goodpost:

I think of it this way. Different children are like different plants, that is Nature. Whether the plant grows well or not depends on nurture. You can't change an umbrella palm into a redwood tree. But each can grow to its maximum height when given the right conditions and do well in different climates.

For me the early years are for exploration and getting to know what kind of plant the child is. Can't change a tone-deaf child into a Mozart even if you start music very young ykwim? In Singapore, I think we gotta be very protective of late-bloomers and right-brainers.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 am

deminc wrote:

I think of it this way. Different children are like different plants, that is Nature. Whether the plant grows well or not depends on nurture. You can't change an umbrella palm into a redwood tree. But each can grow to its maximum height when given the right conditions and do well in different climates.

For me the early years are for exploration and getting to know what kind of plant the child is. Can't change a tone-deaf child into a Mozart even if you start music very young ykwim? In Singapore, I think we gotta be very protective of late-bloomers and right-brainers.

thank you. but you said it much better than me, especially the "umbrella palm into a redwood" :goodpost:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby MadScientist » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:48 am

Well said tankee and deminc!

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 am

deminc wrote:In Singapore, I think we gotta be very protective of late-bloomers and right-brainers.

Agree with you in general and especially to the above statement... Somehow our edu system trains us to see that black is black and white and white and not enough on seeing the whole spectrum that makes it grey.

Unfortunately in the real world, 80% of the time things are shaded grey ... My personal opinion is our kids (I think for most of us who are part of the SG edu system) are not so well equipped to think out of the box; to analyse situations and scenarios and identify the best possible answer to whatever situation they are in. Most of the time, the solution is not so clearly set out in black and white.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 am

deminc wrote:

deminc , that was an excellant post.

Only of late i have been thinking thru about strengths vs weakness...
My thinking (and that of the many i persume) is to focus and improve our weakness, when our focus should be on identifying our strengths and nuturing it. then it becomes a deadly combination of nature and nuture.

Not that we should ignore our weakness, but our focus should be on our strengths....

My 2 cents

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child