Homeschooling your child?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Homeschooling your child?

Postby PWdreamteam » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:58 pm

[Moderator's note: Topics merged]

Have you guys ever considered trying to homeschooling your child? Is the homeschooling trend prominent in Singapore?

What risks do you think are associated with it (ex. lousy tutors, lack of resources, lack of social interaction)?

Are there any good self-help homeschooling groups or association in Singapore?

What do you guys think of the possibility of a “homeschool association” in Singapore?

PWdreamteam
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Homeschooling

Postby yap_susan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:02 am

I understand that the parent who is going to homeschool (primary school onwards) has to be a graduate. Is it true?

yap_susan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Homeschooling

Postby tankee » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 am

from MOE http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/compu ... xemptions/

Home-schooling

Children will only be granted exemption from Compulsory Education (CE) to be home-schooled provided the parents are able to satisfy MOE that the two key objectives of CE can be achieved for their children.

Parents will have to apply to Compulsory Education Unit (CEU), MOE for a certificate confirming that the child has been exempted from CE. In seeking CE exemption for their child to receive home-schooling, parents are required to furnish information on the curriculum and educational outcomes of the home-schooling programme and indicate how the child will receive instruction in National Education.

A child granted exemption from CE to be home-schooled has to attempt the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) in four subjects at Standard Level (English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Science) when he/she is above the age of 11 years, but before attaining the age of 15 years.

A home-schooled child has to meet the same PSLE benchmark as children attending the San Yu Adventist School, and sit the National Education Quiz before PSLE.

The PSLE benchmark for San Yu Adventist School is pegged at the 33rd percentile aggregate score of pupils who take the 4 subjects at Standard level in national schools in that same year. For the 2009 PSLE, the benchmark for San Yu Adventist School corresponded to a PSLE aggregate score of 192.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Homeschooling

Postby yap_susan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:14 am

Never state the qualifications of the parents.

yap_susan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Homeschooling your child?

Postby zac's mum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi, is this thread still alive?

What is your definition of homeschooling? Do you mean for P1 onwards?

I am looking for curriculum materials to teach my preschooler, cannot find any leh...

zac's mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby yap_susan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:33 pm

I am and have had done preschooler homescooling till K1. for my two children. I use montessori and kumon widely for the curriculum.

yap_susan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby elderflowertea » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Why do you all want to homeschool your children? Just let them go to school and learn and have fun! Can make friends too.

elderflowertea
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby zac's mum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi yap_susan,

Mind sharing where did u buy the materials like Montessori and Kumon? I don't want to spend money enrolling for the lessons, I just want a peek at what the kids learn. Very frustrating becos I know if I can see proper lesson plans, I can easily teach my boy. But none out there :(

zac's mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cnimed » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 pm

elderflowertea wrote:Why do you all want to homeschool your children? Just let them go to school and learn and have fun! Can make friends too.

because sometimes the schools parents can get are not suitable for the children. And sometimes we parents can't stand the things that the teachers are (not) teaching and we can't bear to take it lying down. There are also children who have special needs - educational(dyslexic etc), physical (severe allergies, hearing/vision-impaired), emotional (anxiety disorders) etc. Sometimes a family relocates often and homeschooling provides more stability and better learning foundation for the children. The reasons are many and varied if people are willing to find out with an open mind and heart.

Can make friends everywhere. Just that parents /caregivers must make the effort to network, organise outings, and be sociable.

Can tailor curriculum and learning materials to the children's needs and learning styles. Again parents have to be hardworking and many spend a lot of time researching curriculum and looking for resources.

To homeschool successfully, a parent has to be hardworking, organised, and willing to go out of comfort zone to make it work. A parent also has to trust the child to an extent and try to hear the child's drumbeat. I know some parents homeschool because of their beliefs. But there are also many parents who homeschool because their children need that from them.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cnimed » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

zac's mum wrote:Hi yap_susan,

Mind sharing where did u buy the materials like Montessori and Kumon? I don't want to spend money enrolling for the lessons, I just want a peek at what the kids learn. Very frustrating becos I know if I can see proper lesson plans, I can easily teach my boy. But none out there :(

zac's mum,

there are homeschooling groups in Singapore for preschool, primary and teenagers. Just search homeschooling, Singapore.

There is also a lot of information on curriculums on the internet. Just do a search; most curriculums will give you a free sample for preview before purchase. Others are free by other homeschooling parents. NLB library also has books on homeschooling and curriculumd. Just search their catalogue. Failing all, go to Kinokuniya. They have it under education section.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child