When to start giving Allowance?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

When to start giving Allowance?

Postby cteo101 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:18 am

When do you think is a good age to give a child an allowance?
In order to start the child being aware of spending, control and the value
of saving.
is it better to do a daily, weekly or month allowance scheme?
and what do you think is an appropriate amount depending on age?

cteo101
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: When to start giving Allowance?

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:38 am

before all these, u must teach your child how to spend.

YES, SPEND!!!

Even if your child have the money, but they r not allowed to use it to convert to something which they feel joyful about, to them, it is as good as not having the money.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cteo101 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:50 pm

so show them the positive side of spending, before teaching saving

cteo101
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby UncleLim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:21 pm

And make them do an accounting spreadsheet to show their expenditure !

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm

help them to spend? :laugh:

Probably start to give allowance at 6 years old? since primary school they have to spend on food.

From 4-5 years old, show them the currency, how to recognize them.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vevey » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:36 pm

It's not just abt when but how much as well.

For our case, P1 & 2 - give just enough for recess w 0-50cts daily savings.

Intend to upgrade to basic allowance (small enough that he will want more $) + wages for each household chores (fold clothes, tidy up bookshelf, scrub toilet walls etc) from this dec hols onwards. Gotten this idea out of the 3 systems mentioned in a book, "You're Not the Boss of Me - Brat-proofing your 4 to 12yo Child" by Betsy Brown Braun.

Hopefully, will help me from having to chase him to fold clothes etc & teach him abt work & earnings. Total amt will b the amt we want him to hv by end of the week. Will then guide him to divide the $ into Spending (recess, small purchases etc), Saving (bigger ticket items or "to b determined") & Sharing (charity, gifts 4 others etc).
Tested out the spending part last weekend. He was v motivated to shop w us & on good behaviour when he brought some of his savings along to c if anything caught his eyes during the trip. Ya, in the end he chose to spend $10 on a toy but could only play when he finished his homework during the sept hols.

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Vevey wrote:It's not just abt when but how much as well.

For our case, P1 & 2 - give just enough for recess w 0-50cts daily savings.

Intend to upgrade to basic allowance (small enough that he will want more $) + wages for each household chores (fold clothes, tidy up bookshelf, scrub toilet walls etc) from this dec hols onwards. Gotten this idea out of the 3 systems mentioned in a book, "You're Not the Boss of Me - Brat-proofing your 4 to 12yo Child" by Betsy Brown Braun.

Hopefully, will help me from having to chase him to fold clothes etc & teach him abt work & earnings. Total amt will b the amt we want him to hv by end of the week. Will then guide him to divide the $ into Spending (recess, small purchases etc), Saving (bigger ticket items or "to b determined") & Sharing (charity, gifts 4 others etc).
Tested out the spending part last weekend. He was v motivated to shop w us & on good behaviour when he brought some of his savings along to c if anything caught his eyes during the trip. Ya, in the end he chose to spend $10 on a toy but could only play when he finished his homework during the sept hols.

For me, I don't think is a good idea to give wages for household chores. when they grow old they might expect to be paid for each task done?

I think a better way maybe the tv allowance or the reward chart. Collect 10 stamps for outing trips?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cteo101 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:35 am

when i was a kid my parents actually started me each week with an amount of money, then divide that into 7 days.
everyday at the end of the night they will sign off in a little book, minus
money from anything that was not done or bad behavior during that day.
and the total left over from each day was then given to me at the end of the week.

kind of a reverse way to do it, but i did learn to value the dollar very early on this way

cteo101
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby UncleLim » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 pm

If your child is quite young and is given an allowance, make sure you conduct audits on the spending habit.

My DD's classmate gives everyone treats and free pens whenever she gets her monthly allowance !!!

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:20 pm

UncleLim wrote:If your child is quite young and is given an allowance, make sure you conduct audits on the spending habit.

My DD's classmate gives everyone treats and free pens whenever she gets her monthly allowance !!!

why monthly? how old?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child