Spooky or imagination?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Spooky or imagination?

Postby mel2sg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi

My boy is 6 years old, the night before, around midnight, when everybody had slept (he still cannot sleep) and was playing with his soft toys in bed, he told me he suddenly saw a pair of hand coming out of the curtain - waving. He was so scared he started to cry and tried to wake me up (I sleep beside him).

After I woke up and he told me all about it, I told him don't worry what he saw is not true and asked him to faster get some sleep. However, the next day he kept talking about the hands. Well, I don't think he is lying. My wife is bit spooky over this, what would you do? Thanks.

mel2sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Spooky or imagination?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:11 am

mel2sg wrote:Hi

My boy is 6 years old, the night before, around midnight, when everybody had slept (he still cannot sleep) and was playing with his soft toys in bed, he told me he suddenly saw a pair of hand coming out of the curtain - waving. He was so scared he started to cry and tried to wake me up (I sleep beside him).

After I woke up and he told me all about it, I told him don't worry what he saw is not true and asked him to faster get some sleep. However, the next day he kept talking about the hands. Well, I don't think he is lying. My wife is bit spooky over this, what would you do? Thanks.

I'll be just as spooked if I am you! I don't think you can do much other than just to monitor the situation closely over the next few days. Maybe check out the window in case someone could be peeping inside the house as they walk past.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby auntieM » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 am

Can it be a creative mind at work? I will monitor his behaviour for the next few days too.. Maybe can try tiring him out in the day and see if he is able to fall asleep as per normal at night..
If your child is still uneasy then you can consider doing other stuff... Please don't jump into conclusions and blame your kiddo for lying. When I was young my mum would smack me and call me a liar when I related stuff I see to her... very frustrating and upsetting for a kid :sad:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:55 am

I am definitely spooked.. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks!
Take your child seriously is better than brushing the matter off.

Postby Funz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:29 am

Dun think mel2g is brushing the matter off since he is here seeking opinions.

It is definitely spooky. DD had a few of such episodes as well. Neither me nor DH experienced anything unusual so we basically observed her and assured her she is safe.

We did not outrightly acknowledge that it is something spooky and we did not immediately put it down to overactive imagination.

She started screaming and crying and was basically incoherent and shivering. When we finally got her talking, she said she saw a huge eye staring at her down from the ceiling when she was trying to sleep. The next day, we asked her if she remembered what happened and she did so we talked further about what it could be. She was only 3 or 3+ then so a bit difficult to really explain things to her. Told her if she sees that eye again, no need to be so scared, just call us and we will take care of it.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby meme2doo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:56 pm

Funz wrote:Dun think mel2g is brushing the matter off since he is here seeking opinions.

It is definitely spooky. DD had a few of such episodes as well. Neither me nor DH experienced anything unusual so we basically observed her and assured her she is safe.

We did not outrightly acknowledge that it is something spooky and we did not immediately put it down to overactive imagination.

She started screaming and crying and was basically incoherent and shivering. When we finally got her talking, she said she saw a huge eye staring at her down from the ceiling when she was trying to sleep. The next day, we asked her if she remembered what happened and she did so we talked further about what it could be. She was only 3 or 3+ then so a bit difficult to really explain things to her. Told her if she sees that eye again, no need to be so scared, just call us and we will take care of it.

Errrm.. that's very courageous... but what if it's true.. and if u and ur DH see the SAME eye... how would you then "take care" of it..? I will already be freaked out the moment my kids tell me that... :yikes:

Especially when pple always say kids can SEE such things...

I think I will just bring my kids to our room and sleep with us... Won't feel so scared with more pple around.. maybe after a few days, when the fear is no longer there, everything goes back to normal..

meme2doo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Funz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:35 pm

meme2doo wrote:Errrm.. that's very courageous... but what if it's true.. and if u and ur DH see the SAME eye... how would you then "take care" of it..? I will already be freaked out the moment my kids tell me that... :yikes:

Especially when pple always say kids can SEE such things...

I think I will just bring my kids to our room and sleep with us... Won't feel so scared with more pple around.. maybe after a few days, when the fear is no longer there, everything goes back to normal..

Ahem. Actually DD has done spookier things. She was already sleeping with us in our room so nowhere to move.

When we just moved into our new place and DH was out stationed, DD woke up in the middle on the night, sat up on our bed, stared at a corner of my room smiled, then waved her hand and kept saying 'come, come, come and play'. Other nights she will wake up agitated and scolding whoever to go away.

Another time, it was raining very heavily with lightning and thunder and it was just me, my helper and DD at home. I was in the kitchen and DD needed some tissue so I told her to go get it from the box of tissues on our TV console. She happily skipped to the TV console only to run screaming towards me saying there was someone in our garden peering in through our sliding doors.

The last spooky incident was after we came back from our holiday in Taiwan. She had problems sleeping after coming and kept waking us up in the middle of the night. My helper offered to keep her company one night and told me the next morning that DD woke up in the middle of the night, woke her up and whispered to her that there's an old man sitting at the edge of DS's bed looking at DS. My helper jumped up, turn on the lights in the room, but saw nothing. She left the lights on the whole night, dragged DS to DD's bed and did not sleep after that.

Yes, these incidents did spook me but my instinct was not to show that I am spooked by all these and I warned my helper to reign in her reaction as well. Chances are these events are a result of her being over stimulated or stressed over some stuff. But I will not tell her it is her imagination, as, to her, it is very real. So we talked about it and I would ask her why she thinks these 'people' or 'things' appear and what were they trying to do.

Thing is only DD experienced all these. None of us encountered anything. If any of us saw the same stuff, guess the first thing we would do would be to consult a priest. If it is really a disturbance of that sort, the next step will be to figure out if it is the house or DD cos she did display such behaviour in another house of ours and decide on a course of action from there.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:14 pm

my niece saw things too when she was young. my sil firmly believes in all these things and was told by her friend (who is like the ghost whisperer) that little kids tend to see these things. only need to get worried if kid or someone at home starts to fall sick or bad luck one after another.

my sil would quickly muttered something like "i dont disturb you, pls dont disturb us" and promised to burnt some stuff for them if the family is left alone.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby meme2doo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:51 am

Funz, I really admire ur courage... Just reading your last post made my hair stand..

meme2doo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

Would prayers help?

As the descriptions sound quite vivid, I think the child should be taken seriously. Psychologists would call it an overactive imagination, because children have been known to make up imaginary friends and imagine scary things from the shadows that they see. But I think we shouldn't discount the supernatural as well.

Funz, you're handling it really well. :salute:

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child