Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Leaving children at home unattended

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: Leaving children at home unattended

Postby AC » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 pm

heyhoe wrote:I'm also tempted to let my P3 DS to stay at home after school. Reason being, he usually stay back after school for CCA etc 4 times a week. He's only left with 2-3 hours which I think is better spent resting at home and doing his homework.

Do you think having security camera will help?

:peekaboo: Try Mobile LIVECam..you can get it from MI & Singtel only.
Its work for me,..very useful tools,..you can watch wha't happening @ home no matter where u are. I used d camera to view my boy activities. E.g.... Is he at home, Is he doing his homework,.COMPUTER /TV..etc..
Now that he more mature..learn to base on trust..so i'll use d camera once or twice a day.... :smile:

AC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:27 am

peterch wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it against the law if you leave the children at that age unattended :yikes:

Never heard of such rule :?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby linden2000 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Oppsgal wrote:
Diesel wrote:9 yrs old and 7 yrs old

That will be hard... At this age, I think I don't dare place them at home unattended, unless they are matured and don't play with fire, or climb out of windows.

Heard of the case of a fallen kid. :sad:

Agree. To me 9 yrs is too young to stay home unsupervised and look after a 7 yr old. If they are locked in the house with no keys and no means to get out, fire would be a worry. If keys are given to them, worry is whether they will be 'persuaded' to unlock the door for anyone.

Cameras to monitor the kids are only good for getting an idea whether they have been studying or doing homework but will not be able to prevent bad stuff from happening, eg playing with fire, gas, falling from climbing chairs, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth.

linden2000
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jiyou2003 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:15 pm

heyhoe wrote:I'm also tempted to let my P3 DS to stay at home after school. Reason being, he usually stay back after school for CCA etc 4 times a week. He's only left with 2-3 hours which I think is better spent resting at home and doing his homework.

Do you think having security camera will help?

My colleague install CCTV. He has a maid, dd at p4 n ds at u2. It work well for him.
As for ds, he ever home alone for an hour when grandparent went downstairs for a quick errant.
What is the suitable age? By law is what age?

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby heyhoe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks, jiyou223.

I'm still hesitating because without adult supervision, he might just spend his time playing games or dreaming.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tamarind » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 am

Oppsgal wrote:
peterch wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it against the law if you leave the children at that age unattended :yikes:

Never heard of such rule :?

It is against the law in the UK to leave a child who is under age 13 unattended at home.

In Singapore, many parents leave their kids unattended at home and I have never heard of them being prosecuted by law. I believe there is no such law in Singapore.
Last edited by tamarind on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:30 am

Diesel wrote:I want to know how parents are successful in instilling discipline in their children who is at home after school WITHOUT a caretaker?

I would advise you to put them in a student care center. It is too risky to leave kids unattended at home.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vevey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:11 pm

It really depends on the maturity of the kids.
My neighbour's boy is able to walk to & fro school by himself & is alone at home by himself since P5. His sec 2 sister usually will arrive home 2-4hr after that. During sch hols, both of them would b home w/o adult & he would usually go out for lunch nearby by himself if his sister is not w him.

Vevey
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby poppy15 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:30 pm

i agree with tamarind on leaving the child at a student care centre even if it is only for that short while... or check with a neighbour to see if they can help care for the child while u are way...

poppy15
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Previous

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres