Am I stressing my boy ?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Am I stressing my boy ?

Postby chixchix » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Hii all ,my son is in P2 now ,he takes an external mother tongue every Saturday. Currently he is in the PM session.

He gets ready for school at 10.45 am.I usually hope that he can get up early so that he can do revision with me but he wakes up about 8+, see cartoons and he will just do something to waste time, and I have to keep nagging at him that exams are coming next month and I need to revise with him. Nothing is done and he goes to school.

When he comes back in the evening at 7,he watches tv, uses the laptop to play games, until 8+, I have to nag him to bathe, to take dinner, and to study, whereas my husband who will be around, will not be bothered to say anything.

I am very stressed as I want him to do well for the streaming exams.

Am I being too harsh on him ? Is there anyway to get your child to listen ?

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Am I stressing my boy ?

Postby cnimed » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:56 pm

From the sound of it he's not getting anything done so I don't think you are being too harsh... :siam:

I erm wave the cane, no video games in the house and strict TV quotas from babyhood. Outdoor playtime a must, friends over to the house allowed, painting and building toys allowed. Good efforts are rewarded with marshmallows and freedom, constant dwadling will have toys confiscated and if necessary, extra work and more cane waving. Consistent good behaviour will be rewarded with a trip to video shop during holidays. Bad behaviour they must sit in their bedroom and repent.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby LOLMum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:50 pm

i find having a timetable very helpful. dd has one since young and clearly knows where her priority should be. now without one, she is able to get her work and revision done on her own.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Chixchix, I also don't think you're being too strict or stressing him at all. I think he is too relax & enjoying himself especially exam is round the corner. I have already ban my DS from games but occasionally when he has done his work, I allow him to watch Cartoons or play iPad for half an hour.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:35 pm

My dd is in pm session. Same thing. At night needs to nag her to sleep. Dilly dally till 10+pm, walk in & out of her room with all sort of excuses. In the morning, cannot wake up, sleeps till 10am. Then in a bad mood when she wakes up initially, need to hug a little, laze around a little then can drink milk. After that need rush to complete school homework, eat lunch then go to school

Got timetable, cannot keep to it. So I've trashed her timetable. She doesn't watch TV though

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Suz855 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Setting a routine for a start, reward with stars which can then exchange for toy or ice-cream. Have fun :smile:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child