Psychologist, DNA test for kids

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Psychologist, DNA test for kids

Postby gerber » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 pm

My child is 11 this year and seems to have lost interests in study. Grades dropped since he went into P5 and I am getting very worried for PSLE next year. He can take 3hours just to do a worksheet! I have been scolding, yelling and telling him the importance of PSLE next year but none of these work. As much as I know endless yelling doesn't help, I simply cannot restrain myself.

Read somewhere that there are tests to determine strength and weaknesses of the child so teaching style can be tuned accordingly. I think it is DNA testing. Anyone heard about it and can make a recommendation?

gerber
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Psychologist, DNA test for kids

Postby tankee » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:06 pm

DNA testing? definitely not able to determine strength and weakness of anyone based on DNA. Our understanding of the DNA is not that thorough, still far far away to reach such stage.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby znzyzyzx » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Are you referring to fingerprints analysis ? If yes , then e&p at delfi orchard has that test. Although it does claim to tell what the child is supposed to be good at , but I personally feel that you can't really use that info to take any concrete action.

znzyzyzx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby gerber » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 pm

Fingerprint analysis sounds new. I'll do a check on it. Honestly, I think it is the child's attitude which is more important.

I have my doubts that DNA can tell but somehow vaguely remember reading about it somewhere.

gerber
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby gerberadaisy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Gerber

There may be some underlying reasons for your child's sudden loss in interest. Perhaps consulting an educational psychologist will be more beneficial?

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gerber » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks for suggesting an educational psychologist. Will you have any recommendation? I saw some enrichment centers that provide diagnostics test but not sure if it will end up being a gimmick to sign up students.

gerber
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby gerberadaisy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:00 pm

I've brought my son to see one previously, but I don't think she's accepting any more kids as her schedule is very full. She gets lots of referrals from hospitals as she's quite well-known in this field.

gerberadaisy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby hquek » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:20 pm

hi gerber,

Could it be your child is struggling to learn the syllabus? During school days, I'll be very good (memorise pages upon pages, read about topic, finish the work fast) if I'm enthusiastic/confident in my subjects; but if not, I can take super long time and still won't be able to finish the work.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby gerber » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:33 am

Councillor,

I have also suspected that as syllabus get tougher, interest level will go down too. Many people whom I spoke to mentioned that it is a big jump from P4 to P5 syllabus and as parents, drop in grades for most children can be expected. I am just hoping to seek professional help to see how I could help. Not sure if I am just overly worrisome at this stage.

Thanks to all for advice.

gerber
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hquek » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:07 am

hi gerber,

My kid only P1, even then, many pp (including teachers) have been telling me that P3 is a small jump, P5 is a big jump. I was aghast to learn that by end of P5, kids would have covered the entire P school syllabus - seems like P6 is only a year of revision. It's scary how much is being crammed into our kids.

You are his parent and you care about him enough to see and notice the change in him. Don't think yourself as over-worrisome - would you have wanted something big/bad to happen before you take action? If you begin early on, at least there is still time to rectify if something is indeed wrong. If not, heave a sigh of relief and give thanks. :-)

Hope all will work well for your child. Jia you!

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child