3rd Language for Your Child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Which 3rd language would you let your child learn?

Arabic
No votes
Chinese
9%
Dutch
No votes
French
16%
German
9%
Japanese
28%
Korean
6%
Indonesian
3%
Italian
No votes
Malay
9%
Russian
No votes
Spanish
9%
Tamil
No votes
Thai
No votes
Vietnamese
No votes
Others
6%
None
3%

Total votes : 32

3rd Language for Your Child

Postby concern2 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:00 pm

As parents, if given a choice, which 3rd language would you choose for your child and why?

The polls give consideration to languages except English since it is the first and compulsory language to learn in Singapore.

The languages are listed in alphabetical order. If the language of your choice is not included, please select "others" and state what it is.

You may also select "none" if you do not think you'd let your child learn a 3rd language (for whatever reason).

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: 3rd Language for Your Child

Postby UncleLim » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Malay would be the most practical. For many years I wondered why the government has not encouraged us to pick the language up despite us having to interact with Malaysians and Indonesians, our nearest neighbours. Would that not have improved racial harmony even more ? But better late than never. In any case many of us have picked Malay up in NS or reservist training and use a smattering of terms at the food centre. So I would let all my kids learn Malay.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby concern2 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Yes, UncleLim! DS likes to ask me how to say this and that in Malay, because he wants to know what his malay friends talk about. He also doesn't understand why his Malay friends' can take Chinese and why he can't take Malay language...

I understand that in most primary school nowadays, they do let the kids learn a 3rd language in P3. Is this correct? If so, how long are they given a chance to pursue the language - is that a one or two terms kind of thing?

LKY recommends Malay as 3rd language (is it yesterday?) , but I think some parents may stand to differ...

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:44 pm

And we in Singapore will get to use Malay and speak it on a daily basis simply because there are people to speak the language with.

I took French as a 3rd language from Sec 1 and it has all gone to waste. Who in the world is going to speak French with me in my daily life?

Anyway, I think if a child can manage English, Mandarin and Malay, he or she will find interacting easy with most of our Asian neighbours.

This brings to mind an encounter with an American colleague who was travelling with me to the different offices around Asia. He communicated with me in English, heard me speak Mandarin in Taiwan and then Cantonese in HK. To him who spoke only English, that was bewildering! So maybe that is the Singaporean advantage?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 am

I am interested in letting my kid learn Malay. But ask the childcare teacher, teacher said no such language teach in school. :roll:

So if young cannot expose the the trilingual language, then how to have a good foundation?

Reason why want to learn Malay? If we are "asked" to go to neighbor countries to survive for old age, we can at least manage to communicate.

If compare to Malaysia schools, they learnt more languages (malay, chinese and english), so school fees are cheaper? :rotflmao:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:00 am

Oppsgal wrote:Reason why want to learn Malay? If we are "asked" to go to neighbor countries to survive for old age, we can at least manage to communicate.

If compare to Malaysia schools, they learnt more languages (malay, chinese and english), so school fees are cheaper? :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kittybank » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:30 am

Japanese. So that he can translate food labels for me.

kittybank
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am

MOE has started a initiative to let students learn conversational Malay in schools. All students will undergo the course. I think it was started in 2008.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:11 am

Malay language studies is compulsory in HCI ? Quite popular in RI too

Recently met some angmo's who speak mandarin like we do .... wah, tough competition hor
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:29 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:Malay language studies is compulsory in HCI ? Quite popular in RI too

Recently met some angmo's who speak mandarin like we do .... wah, tough competition hor

Ya - that's why must keep our mother tongue - the dialects :rotflmao:
Looks like now, the more languages you know, the better.

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child