When faced with a bully

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

When faced with a bully

Postby Susan Koh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this...

I need advise. How can I teach my 2 yr toddler to react when she's bullied, eg pushed or grabbed at the playground & the offender's parents are not around.

It happened to her over the weekend, but thankfully I was around, so I told the girl that she can not pull my daughter's shirt. But she replied in a foreign language which I couldn't understand and her parents were no where to be found.

But I was wondering, if it happened to my daughter when I'm not around, then what should she be taught to do?

Thanks!

Susan Koh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: When faced with a bully

Postby bebebub » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Not sure if this is the best way out. I teach my girl to walk/stay away from the bully, while reminding her that she cannot beat/hurt anyone in return. And that she should tell me about it.

If a case of "bully" happen when I am around, I usually do not react instantly as I want to observe how my dd reacts to the incident, unless the "bullying" is serious and cause bodily hurt. This is especially so if the bully is of similar age.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ccgoh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:40 am

I showed my kids what to do when they were younger. I acted out different scenarios for them and told them how to get help from a teacher and how to tell the bully firmly to stop. Bullying is about intimidation and if you can show the bully you are not intimidated, usually they will stop.

ccgoh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 am

not easy to teach 2 yo to react. in any case, that's really too young to be left alone in a public place.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 am

It's an on-going challenge. How do you teach your child to deal with taunting from someone older, and possibly bigger than him/her?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 am

Still too young. 2 years old... ask them to scream? Older ones still can send them for self defense class.

For 2 years old, I think I will stick to the kid.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby concern2 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:52 am

Oppsgal wrote:Still too young. 2 years old... ask them to scream? Older ones still can send them for self defense class.

For 2 years old, I think I will stick to the kid.

What about say, 5 onwards, how to deal with bullies who say nasty things?

concern2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Susan Koh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 am

I posed the question to my daughter's child care teacher and she said I can teach her via role play or by reading books on the topic of bullying.
I don't usually leave her alone. But sootiness may get caught up talking to other parents at the playground and may not notice everything. So while I'm usually with her, I may not notice if she does encounter a bully.

Susan Koh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tigger88 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:21 am

bebebub wrote:Not sure if this is the best way out. I teach my girl to walk/stay away from the bully, while reminding her that she cannot beat/hurt anyone in return. And that she should tell me about it.

If a case of "bully" happen when I am around, I usually do not react instantly as I want to observe how my dd reacts to the incident, unless the "bullying" is serious and cause bodily hurt. This is especially so if the bully is of similar age.

I teach my kids the same too. If they encounter any form of bullies, walk away and inform the adults or teachers and they should never beat the bullies.

tigger88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:24 am

concern2 wrote:
What about say, 5 onwards, how to deal with bullies who say nasty things?

depends on what u think is 'bullying'. When young children play together, there will bound to be alot of shoving and pushing coz they donch know or donch consider the consequences.

Even in upp pri, my boy still get into such incidents coz alot of boys are just reckless!! They get a bruise here and there but they forget very fast and r friends again! :wink:

If u reflect on your own childhood, we'll somehow manage lah....unless it's constant bullying that requires adult intervention.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child