When is it too early to start tuition?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby cteo101 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 am

some ppl feel starting too early is a bad thing, is it necessary to have enrichment or "tuition" for kids as early as pre-sch or pri 1?

cteo101
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: When is it too early to start tuition?

Postby KiasuAdult » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:21 pm

i started phonics classes during nursery so i feel it's okay but i think the child must like it first

KiasuAdult
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SHMILYLOVE » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:26 pm

cteo101 wrote:When is it too early to start tuition?

some ppl feel starting too early is a bad thing, is it necessary to have enrichment or "tuition" for kids as early as pre-sch or pri 1?

Hi cteo101,

I think P1 is an okay age to start tuition. :) But it is crucial to find her a tuition tcher who is passionate and fun and not over-bearing.... if not your child will be turned off. Maybe good group tuition will help, and it is good because it helps to strength your child's interactive skills with others... :)

SHMILYLOVE
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 pm

you mean enrichments rather than tuition right?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Lynn2010 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:47 pm

To me, i think it depends on the needs of the child. If the child is doing fine, let him/her enjoy childhood. If the child has problem reading, of course do send the child for phonics classes even at K1.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:07 am

Depends on current school support too. These days, schools function more like diagnostic centres... They will test your child so that you know what the gaps are. Then it is up to you to fill the gaps with either tuition or yourself. This means the child needs tuition even in P1 and pre-P1 preparation. In essence, external teaching interventions are no longer extras. They seem necessary because teachers rely on parents to help to teach.

I gave my kids no conscious pre-P1 prep, but it seems that won't do in today's system.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:02 am

alternative build the learning into the daily play with mummy and daddy. For example if you are building lego blocks, they can learn counting too (just one example)

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 am

I define tuition as lesson structure according to moe syllabus.
So mine began tutition in P3, upon her request. I happen to have a kiasu dd :lol:

Non academic enrichments can start as early as toddlers. Shichida, gym classes, music appreciation, doodling classes, plenty to choose from. Academic enrichments usually start around 3 to 4 years old, popular ones include abacus & phonics

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jiyou2003 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:53 pm

DS start phonics at late 5, he still dont have confident on some words. English is not so good lah, can range from 60 to 70/80. Better start language earlier, unless you can teach by yourself.
He has art n craft at 4.

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Vevey » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:43 pm

tankee wrote:you mean enrichments rather than tuition right?

DS1 used to hv a classmate who had tuition since K1 bcos his parents worked till v late. His grandma was v proud that the tutor was an university student. :roll:

Anyway, my take on tuition is y give clutches to the kids b4 they r found to b handicapped? Won't our confidence in them help to boost their own confidence too? Aren't most young children eager to please?

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child