IQ test

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

IQ test

Postby ADave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 am

Dear mummies,

I need some kind advices from you. Recently, I had a talked with my son's Speech and Drama teacher. She sing praises for him telling me what a super smart boy he is, able to express himself well, take effort to speak in good english and takes his leadership role very well. But she also noticed one thing. My boy will shut himself down whenever the stuffs they are doing is not challenging enough for him. Feedback from his form teacher are the same too: my son is smartest in class but will shut himself down if the topic/subject of the day is something that he already knew. The S&D teacher recommended me to get his IQ test checked, saying things like he is mature for his age (he is 4yrs old), and she access him to be very intelligent. It is good for early intervention if its really true his IQ is high as he will get bored easily if we continue him as it is.

Seriously I do not know. I dun want to pressure him and myself. But at the same time, i do find the point valid too. What if its proven he is advance for his age? i know that when he is bored, he will either do his own thing or get distruptive. Any mummies out there experiencing the same situation before?

Thanks

ADave
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: IQ test

Postby Maple leaf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 pm

ADave wrote:Dear mummies,

I need some kind advices from you. Recently, I had a talked with my son's Speech and Drama teacher. She sing praises for him telling me what a super smart boy he is, able to express himself well, take effort to speak in good english and takes his leadership role very well. But she also noticed one thing. My boy will shut himself down whenever the stuffs they are doing is not challenging enough for him. Feedback from his form teacher are the same too: my son is smartest in class but will shut himself down if the topic/subject of the day is something that he already knew. The S&D teacher recommended me to get his IQ test checked, saying things like he is mature for his age (he is 4yrs old), and she access him to be very intelligent. It is good for early intervention if its really true his IQ is high as he will get bored easily if we continue him as it is.

Seriously I do not know. I dun want to pressure him and myself. But at the same time, i do find the point valid too. What if its proven he is advance for his age? i know that when he is bored, he will either do his own thing or get distruptive. Any mummies out there experiencing the same situation before?

Thanks

Hi,ADave,

The best age to get tested is age 5. An IQ test is npt cheap so you may want to consider the usage for the test.
Fiom my experience, the most distintive characteristics are as follpw:
-super memory,
- can use pc, read maps at age 3,
- read independently simple readers at age 3,
- tell the time at age 3 ( numeracy gifted).
- extensive vocabulary. in-depth narratiojn of events,
- skillful in jigsaw puzzles,
- coudn't fit in enruchment centres cos' too advance for his age,
- highly observant,
-high energy level but not hyperactive,
-diverse interest,
- has a sense of humour
etc..

Likes to challenge the authority,hypersensitive,
get agitated easily, introvert, like to be with adults or older kids, concern wirh world issues etc..

If your child has almost all the trairs, your child maybe gifted.
Again, like what the othre forumers posts suggested, MOE wil only intervene if your child is the 99.9percentile. If not, has to wait till P3 for GEP sreaming.

JMHO

Maple leaf
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:12 pm

I need some kind advices from you. Seriously I do not know. I dun want to pressure him and myself. But at the same time, i do find the point valid too. What if its proven he is advance for his age? i know that when he is bored, he will either do his own thing or get distruptive. Any mummies out there experiencing the same situation before?

Thanks

Some related threads fyi

How to tell if a child is gifted?
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... it=+gifted

Earlier P1 regn for high ability kids

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Maple leaf wrote:Fiom my experience, the most distintive characteristics are as follpw:
-super memory,
- highly observant,
-diverse interest,
- has a sense of humour
etc..

Hi, replied you PM sometime ago :smile:
How's your ds doing in school?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks

Hi ADave, there is a very good chance that what the teacher said is correct. They are usually very good at spotting children who are different from the rest. Being easily bored is definitely a key indication. That is one of the reasons for having the GEP programme in schools, so that brighter kids are given extra stuff to discuss, research and think about over and above the standard school textbooks. I personally do not feel an IQ test is all that important. And smart children are also different from other smart children. They have their own unique strengths and strange inclinations. On your part, you can start by engaging him in conversations and activities that are more suited for 6 year olds and see how he responds.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Maple leaf » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi, replied you PM sometime ago :smile:
How's your ds doing in school?[/quote]

Hi, sleeoy,

I tried to pm u several times but "Submit" button no response. :mad:
Will try again later.

Maple leaf
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ADave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:06 am

Hi guys sorry for late reply. been busy and only managed to log in today!

ADave
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ADave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 am

Maple leaf wrote:

Thanks

Hi,ADave,

The best age to get tested is age 5. An IQ test is npt cheap so you may want to consider the usage for the test.
Fiom my experience, the most distintive characteristics are as follpw:
-super memory,
- highly observant,
-diverse interest,
- has a sense of humour
etc..

Likes to challenge the authority,hypersensitive,
get agitated easily, introvert, like to be with adults or older kids, concern wirh world issues etc..

If your child has almost all the trairs, your child maybe gifted.
Again, like what the othre forumers posts suggested, MOE wil only intervene if your child is the 99.9percentile. If not, has to wait till P3 for GEP sreaming.

JMHO

Hi mapleleaf, these are the traits i found in my son:-
-super memory
- extensive vocabulary.
-in-depth narration of events
- coudn't fit in enrichment centres cos' too advance for his age,
- highly observant,
-diverse interest,
- has a sense of humour
-Likes to challenge the authority,hypersensitive
-like to be with adults or older kids
-gets bored easily if lessons not challenging enuff or he already knew it. though he sit one side doing his own things, whenever teacher asked, he always managed to answer
-always be the one who wants to answer qns
-prefer to be a leader and takes his role seriously. his teacher said that whenever my son talks, everyone just listen. There' a leadership skills in him
-impatient and wants things done fast.

ADave
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ADave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:16 am

sleepy wrote:

I need some kind advices from you. Seriously I do not know. I dun want to pressure him and myself. But at the same time, i do find the point valid too. What if its proven he is advance for his age? i know that when he is bored, he will either do his own thing or get distruptive. Any mummies out there experiencing the same situation before?

Thanks

Some related threads fyi

How to tell if a child is gifted?

Earlier P1 regn for high ability kids

Hi sleepy.

THANK YOU! Already read thru some. :))

ADave
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ADave » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:27 am

UncleLim wrote:

Thanks

Hi ADave, there is a very good chance that what the teacher said is correct. They are usually very good at spotting children who are different from the rest. Being easily bored is definitely a key indication. That is one of the reasons for having the GEP programme in schools, so that brighter kids are given extra stuff to discuss, research and think about over and above the standard school textbooks. I personally do not feel an IQ test is all that important. And smart children are also different from other smart children. They have their own unique strengths and strange inclinations. On your part, you can start by engaging him in conversations and activities that are more suited for 6 year olds and see how he responds.

Hi Unclelim,
When his Speech and Drama teacher told me abt him and suggest I go check his IQ, i actually doubted her. When I had a talk with his form teacher to confirm few things abt his behaviour in class and how he is coping with the lessons, i began to have confidence that maybe i shud really go n have him assess. As a mother, I always find my son a challenging kid to handle, from time he was a toddler. His quick thinking can really caught us off guard at times. His debate skills can be pretty good for his age whenever he tries to justify his wrongdoings. But frankly, I am not putting on high hopes that he is gifted. Seriously speaking, i rather have him at "normal pace" like most kids. I find it to be much lesser pressure..BUT if his IQ is really high after the assessment, then me and husband have to do think of ways to let him explore more of his capabilities and speed. and probably put him in a suitable environment. Anyway he got 2 more yrs before P1. Recently, he asked us to pull him out of school. I asked why and he said something like, "i already knew everything, and some of my friends dont" i took that as an indication that he is beginning to feel bored but at the same time, i dont want him to think that just because he is smart, he can talk like that. I always advice him to help his classmates in any ways he can..

ADave
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child