responsibility

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

responsibility

Postby geraldine_lee » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:32 am

when it comes to school work, she's seem to be abesent minded
she's not responsible towards her work and things around her.
But she's very much responsible & remembers whenever there's outings and an event going on.

geraldine_lee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby san76 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:17 pm

Dearest Geraldine,

HAHA, do not worry. She is afraid of studying and doing homework. She is not absent minded. :D

Try telling her or ask her what she wants to go this weekend or holiday....
She will tell you many things from food to toys to shopping etc... right?

Now try asking her for her opinion, what if I cant finished my job or housework chores how can I bring you out? She will say go out first then come back to do. Ok, you can follow what she says once in a while. But next time, you can try asking her to do her work while you finish your chores.

She looks forward to outings because school work is boring. Did you try to sit with her while she do her work and give her some breaks in between like snacks or just water break. Girls like company, my son will finish all the work for tution. What I use is very simple. eg now is 12pm, I will tell him 3pm I am going out for tea, would you like to join? sure he wants so the cut off time for his work is till 3pm sharp. He will works his way to finish all.

san76
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: responsibility

Postby Luvkid » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:31 pm

geraldine_lee wrote:when it comes to school work, she's seem to be abesent minded
she's not responsible towards her work and things around her.
But she's very much responsible & remembers whenever there's outings and an event going on.

Hi,

Which level is yr girl in? Hv u ever tried sitting down with her to complete her homework?

Yr girl scenario sounds like my elder boy.

My elder boy just enters P1 this year. For the past years, i heard HORRIBLE stories from surrounding friends that when kids enter P1, we, parent will be suffering without other leisure, ie watching TV programme. Used to be favourite past time. I started my TV time the moment i reached home form work. In between, showered my 2 boys, fed them dinner. Then i will be focused on the TV programme till 10pm! :roll:

As my elder boy got older at K1, i had been pushing myself to do a 1:1 study (using assement books) with him for 1 hour daily. However, it is easier to be said than done. This had been dragged till when he reached mid of K2, i got a sudden WAKE UP CALL! :idea: I started the 1:1 study with him for 1/2 hour, slowly increased to 1 hour, and thank goodness, i am still continuing till now.

It was pretty hard for the start for BOTH of us!! Cos my younger boy was then 2 yrs plus likes to CLING on me :P Initially, i started off sitting down with my elder boy, i read the question and followed by HIS answer, unless he dun know, i will help him. Gradually after 6 months, i will sit down with him, he read the question/instruction, with my help when he can't, and answer from him. I really sit down and listen to his question & answer and watched complete a given task. Right now, when comes to home work, he can do by himself and i can leave him. I dun leave hom alone all there. I will say "I'll be back in 5 or 10 mins, u MUST finish these" Must be reasonable enough lah! When days there is no home work, i will give him assement book, do 1 to 4 pages depends. Though we stop our 1:1 study in 1 hour, i do hope as he gets older the time will stretch a bit more!! :pray: Cos sometimes i juz spent the 1 hour on english & chinese spelling.

See if u can start off with your girl.

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Manu » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Hmmm... mind if i share my thoughts....
how about trying to work out a schedule with your kiid. get the kid to involve with the planning. it'll be great to start cultivating a habit to work on.
my gal is in P2 this year and she's working on her "schedule" faithfully. of cos, she'll still "drift" :roll: or daydream :idea: at times. at least she's guided, somehow, when we r away for work.
hope it works. :celebrate:
From Ryan
Last edited by Manu on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manu
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schellen » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:28 am

Like san76, my DD has to "earn" her privileges so she must finish her work for the day (including any piano theory and practice) before she can ask for TV time, PC time, board/card game time, etc.

She has delayed and dallied before so she will forfeit her playtime in those cases. Of course, we try to help her by checking which need to be urgently completed and get those done first. If she has a heavy workload that day, whatever can be put off, we'll let her do another day because we also know that if we adults don't get a chance to rest and relax, we'll feel depressed and cranky too.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child