Request Comment on Phonics Enrichment Books

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Request Comment on Phonics Enrichment Books

Postby ricvon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi

Would appreciate if someone out there can give some comment/s on learning materials offered by Edventure Books,especially the Ridby Star Phonics series.Their website is www.edventurebooks.com

The whole series is quite costly and hope that some one can give some advise whether it is worth buying or not.Is it really useful?From the look of it,it is quite difficult to teach.Anyone used it before ?

Thanks

:D

ricvon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Request Comment on Phonics Enrichment Books

Postby kiasu_pig » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:15 pm

ricvon wrote:Hi
Would appreciate if someone out there can give some comment/s on learning materials offered by Edventure Books,especially the Ridby Star Phonics series.Their website is www.edventurebooks.com
The whole series is quite costly and hope that some one can give some advise whether it is worth buying or not.Is it really useful?From the look of it,it is quite difficult to teach.Anyone used it before ?
Thanks

i just bought the sunshine set at their office in kaki bukit this afternoon. yes, it is costly, and my intention was just to go and "see-see-look-look", but end up getting the Sunshine's as recommended by Andy (boss, I think) for my 27 months old toddler.

frankly, i was quite convinced by the teaching methodology used in Sunshine phonics - the systematic methodology considers of 3 levels - (a) letter's sounds, (b) blending sounds, and (c) reading.

As with every investment, what matters is the patience to diligently go thru' the books with the kid regularly.
:lol:

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ricvon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:33 pm

kiasu_pig wrote:
ricvon wrote:Hi
Thanks

i just bought the sunshine set at their office in kaki bukit this afternoon. yes, it is costly, and my intention was just to go and "see-see-look-look", but end up getting the Sunshine's as recommended by Andy (boss, I think) for my 27 months old toddler.

frankly, i was quite convinced by the teaching methodology used in Sunshine phonics - the systematic methodology considers of 3 levels - (a) letter's sounds, (b) blending sounds, and (c) reading.

As with every investment, what matters is the patience to diligently go thru' the books with the kid regularly.
:lol:

Thanks for your reply,i waited so long for someone to reply.Many read but no one responded.I called after i saw some comments on the kiasuparent blog.Indeed very costly.Actually i intended to buy the ridby star phonics but it is too ex for me,after discount,it costs about $690.Over my budget.

ricvon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasu_pig » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 pm

ricvon wrote:Thanks for your reply,i waited so long for someone to reply.Many read but no one responded.I called after i saw some comments on the kiasuparent blog.Indeed very costly.Actually i intended to buy the ridby star phonics but it is too ex for me,after discount,it costs about $690.Over my budget.

Keke.. it took me alot of thinking and re-thinking - tossing and turning in bed, before I decided to go and take a look. And it didn't take me long before I bought the Sunshine series. It is costly no doubts about it, but it is worth it if the child benefit from it. Also for me, I have two wonderful boys, so it makes all the worth to invest in a set for them. From what I see, the teaching adopted in the Sunshine books is well thought thru'.

Actually, Andy brought me thru' the difference between the "Sunshine Phonics" and "Ridby Rocket" series, the former being more focused on teaching "phonetic sounds" and the latter for "literacy reader" - the teaching approach for both series is truly different. Andy suggested the Sunshine's for my eldest kid as he is only 27 months old and still can't seem to recognise the letters, let alone their sounds yet. Prehaps, Andy suggested, that once my eldest kid is 3.5 yrs old, then to purchase the "Ridby Rocket".

I would encourage you to visit the place and talked to Andy (he held a MSc in Education from Australia U) - if you are convinced of the products, then do consider to get a set too.

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Working With Your Child