How to become a professional food critic?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to become a professional food critic?

Postby sleepy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:31 pm

My dd said she only intend to do 3 things when she retired. Day dream, eat & read. As a matter of fact, she's already extremely good in these 3 things now, no need to wait till retirement.

I wonder how to develop these 3 'talents' into a career instead. Maybe she can be a professional food critic? I imagine she would absolutely love such a role.

Is there such a career? How does one become a professional food critic?

Also welcome ideas on any other roles that combined these 3 'talents' :rotflmao:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to become a professional food critic?

Postby hquek » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Makan sutra? he came, he ate, he wrote...and then went on to set up foodcourts.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:27 pm

there are a number of food critic bloggers as well :smile:

as for daydream, what does she daydream about? Able to translate into storybooks, movie scripts / tv script? This can combine with her passion on reading :wink:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:29 pm

She can even start her own food blog now......Food that tweens love :wink:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 pm

:) I think it is too early to determine their profession as i believe your dd is in primary school. Remember when we were in primary school, we have our ambitions too but not many people have realized their ambitions :)

Sleepy, what your dd likes to do is exactly what my dd2 likes. She likes to "watch the time pass - day dreaming loh", reading - she can read as soon as she opens her eyes till she goes to bed. no need to shower or wash up. Lastly, eating, though she is not obese.

I suppose at this stage, they are enjoying what they like to do and not sure what they want to be. :)
Last edited by Lynn2010 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:33 pm

go watch "Ratatouille" and be Anton Ego
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:14 pm

I dunno about the age thing. I know someone who likes to play librarian in primary school, later became a librarian, another like to pretend working in bank and work in financial stuff and now semi-retired.

It really depends on the child.

My DD1 loves to dance and I can see that she has sense of movement and grace. But I dare not send her for dancing classes. I'm not brave enough to face the possibility that she might dance professionally. In a way I'm failing her as a parent.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:50 am

SAHM_TAN wrote:I dunno about the age thing. I know someone who likes to play librarian in primary school, later became a librarian, another like to pretend working in bank and work in financial stuff and now semi-retired.

My DD1 loves to dance and I can see that she has sense of movement and grace. But I dare not send her for dancing classes. I'm not brave enough to face the possibility that she might dance professionally. In a way I'm failing her as a parent.

I think you should groom her in this area.Her passion may become her profession.My friend is a ballet dancer and has a diploma.She has a studio now and teaching in other schools too.Dancing is her passion and her profession now.

Just sharing

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:08 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:I dunno about the age thing. I know someone who likes to play librarian in primary school, later became a librarian, another like to pretend working in bank and work in financial stuff and now semi-retired.

It's a blessing to be able to turn a passion into a profession. JMHO.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:42 pm

To be a food critic and paid for it, you need to be a journalist or writer with a magazine or paper first. If you can take good food photos, better still. Seetoh started out as a photojournalist too. Wong Ah Yoke is also a journalist. As for Dr Leslie Tay, I don't think he's paid for his critiques but he earns from advertisers on his famous blog. He's rich enough as a doctor so he is just doing this out of passion.

I have a friend who was a writer / editor for a high-end magazine and she got to go on food tasting and holiday media junkets. I even went with her to Australia once and got to stay in the best hotels, eat and play for free. Best holiday ever.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child