if u think ur child is good enough ll u still give tuition?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

if u think ur child is good enough ll u still give tuition?

Postby chocolatebar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Just curious bout : if u think ur child is good enough in primary sch results ll u still send ur child to tuition class? I found Singapore really scary in sense of TUITION tis issue....even k1 k2 ve to tuition, my junior art class P3 student all ve tuition everyday....omg....when i was young i got my first tuition in my P5....Do you think ur child is too tired dealing w those?(sweating)

chocolatebar
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: if u think ur child is good enough ll u still give tuiti

Postby tamarind » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Every parent has a different opinion of what is "good enough". In general 85 to 90 marks is considered bad and teachers will tell you that your kids need tuition. For some parents, they are satisfied only when their kids get 100 marks for all subjects. If the child gets 99 marks for one subject, he must go for tuition. Even when the kids get 100 marks for all subjects, parents want them to get into GEP, so they send them for GEP preparation classes. Getting A* for all subjects is not enough, because the child's PSLE score may still be lower than 260 and cannot enter the top secondary schools. Having tuition for all subjects is not the scariest, wait till you hear about kids who spend many hours memorizing model compositions every day. Are kids too tired ? Yes I think so but then parents will tell you this is good for their kids. The reason is because many parents think that NOT getting into the top secondary schools means that the kids will end up in neighbourhood schools which they think are full of gangsters. The fact is it is NOT true that neighbourhood schools are gangsters schools.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chocolatebar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am

tamarind wrote:Every parent has a different opinion of what is "good enough". In general 85 to 90 marks is considered bad and teachers will tell you that your kids need tuition. For some parents, they are satisfied only when their kids get 100 marks for all subjects. If the child gets 99 marks for one subject, he must go for tuition. Even when the kids get 100 marks for all subjects, parents want them to get into GEP, so they send them for GEP preparation classes. Getting A* for all subjects is not enough, because the child's PSLE score may still be lower than 260 and cannot enter the top secondary schools. Having tuition for all subjects is not the scariest, wait till you hear about kids who spend many hours memorizing model compositions every day. Are kids too tired ? Yes I think so but then parents will tell you this is good for their kids. The reason is because many parents think that NOT getting into the top secondary schools means that the kids will end up in neighbourhood schools which they think are full of gangsters. The fact is it is NOT true that neighbourhood schools are gangsters schools.

haiz~ i think all this ve to based on good personality and good education at home. my mum nvr worry bout me and the fren i approach coz i always know who can befren and who cannot.She nvr worry bout my sch results also coz she knows i ll always worry more than her. She do care bout my sch results but she just wan me to be happy in learning. I think i am very lucky to be born in my family. I have seen many kids in Singapore struggling with the dictionary, tuitions, skills lesson and etc. Honestly i feel quite shocked coz in my time i dun ve such things. All i ve to do is homeworks, and go play with my neighbour and ve my favourite art class. ><

chocolatebar
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby peterch » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:24 am

IMHO:

As Tamarind quoted, I'm 100% agree. Life is getting harder and harder. Competition getting tougher nowadays. We need to do something for the sake of our children's future.

BUT... everyone has a different goal in his/her life. We, parents, can't even control it. The most we could only guide them to reach their goal.

I believe that those who sow much in their early life will harvest must more in future life.

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby LLK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:40 pm

chocolatebar wrote:
tamarind wrote:Every parent has a different opinion of what is "good enough". In general 85 to 90 marks is considered bad and teachers will tell you that your kids need tuition. For some parents, they are satisfied only when their kids get 100 marks for all subjects. If the child gets 99 marks for one subject, he must go for tuition. Even when the kids get 100 marks for all subjects, parents want them to get into GEP, so they send them for GEP preparation classes. Getting A* for all subjects is not enough, because the child's PSLE score may still be lower than 260 and cannot enter the top secondary schools. Having tuition for all subjects is not the scariest, wait till you hear about kids who spend many hours memorizing model compositions every day. Are kids too tired ? Yes I think so but then parents will tell you this is good for their kids. The reason is because many parents think that NOT getting into the top secondary schools means that the kids will end up in neighbourhood schools which they think are full of gangsters. The fact is it is NOT true that neighbourhood schools are gangsters schools.

haiz~ i think all this ve to based on good personality and good education at home. my mum nvr worry bout me and the fren i approach coz i always know who can befren and who cannot.She nvr worry bout my sch results also coz she knows i ll always worry more than her. She do care bout my sch results but she just wan me to be happy in learning. I think i am very lucky to be born in my family. I have seen many kids in Singapore struggling with the dictionary, tuitions, skills lesson and etc. Honestly i feel quite shocked coz in my time i dun ve such things. All i ve to do is homeworks, and go play with my neighbour and ve my favourite art class. ><

Let us be honest, neighbourhood schools do have smart, hardworking and well-behaved students. But as compared, they are likely to have more 'ah lian ah seng' type of students than the so-called top schools. Given a choice, every parents would prefer to send their kids to top schools if their PSLE t-score is 250 and above.

LLK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:52 pm

If I think my kid is good enough, I will let him play. Every Sunday, my son goes to the neighbour's house where 15 grandkids gather to play. This is how he described it earlier today when I asked him what went on over there.

My Son: We discuss and decide to play something, and then have a few rules and then as the game proceeds, we discuss some more... then we continue.

Me: Don't you all fight over what the rules are? Do the adults over there help to set rules?

My Son: No Mom. WE set all the rules ourselves. The adults are busy playing mahjong.

Me: Does anyone fight over the rules?

My Son: Of course we disagree lah... That's why it takes so long to play something. We start and then we stop to discuss... and then we play some more. But it's fun.

The children have played ALL SORTS of strange things in the past months. Today, they played Singapore Airlines. Another time, it was Princess Rapunzel... then there was War... and they got together to make machine guns outta A4 sized white paper.

This is RICH learning too.

If my son is good enough to get into a good school. I will not only not have tuition, I will help him skip school so that he can play.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Chenonceau wrote:If I think my kid is good enough, I will let him play. Every Sunday, my son goes to the neighbour's house where 15 grandkids gather to play. This is how he described it earlier today when I asked him what went on over there.

My Son: We discuss and decide to play something, and then have a few rules and then as the game proceeds, we discuss some more... then we continue.

Me: Don't you all fight over what the rules are? Do the adults over there help to set rules?

My Son: No Mom. WE set all the rules ourselves. The adults are busy playing mahjong.

Me: Does anyone fight over the rules?

My Son: Of course we disagree lah... That's why it takes so long to play something. We start and then we stop to discuss... and then we play some more. But it's fun.

The children have played ALL SORTS of strange things in the past months. Today, they played Singapore Airlines. Another time, it was Princess Rapunzel... then there was War... and they got together to make machine guns outta A4 sized white paper.

This is RICH learning too.

If my son is good enough to get into a good school. I will not only not have tuition, I will help him skip school so that he can play.

Impressive! Your son has undergone a practice session on negotiation. This is exactly what the teachers are trying to teach the students in classrooms. You can easily guess which type of training (in or out of classrooms) will give better outcomes! Children also learn negotiation and survival skills at the playgrounds. But how many parents bring their kids to playground these days? :-)

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LLK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:21 pm

Better to have kid who knows when to play hard and work hard/smart. Bookworm type would not do very well in life in future.

LLK
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:53 pm

so what is the definition of 'good enough' ?

i think that is the problem
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:24 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:so what is the definition of 'good enough' ?

i think that is the problem

I oso dunno lah... heh heh heh!! I am just thanking God everyday that the family next door has SO MANY grandkids!! Kekekekekekeke!

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child