Child do not like to read books

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Child do not like to read books

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Anything with more than 2 words per page, my child will lost interest.

Anyway to get my child sit down and read?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Child do not like to read books

Postby Pen88n » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Reading starts with parent reading to the child, not the child reading by himself / herself. To get the child interested, parent will have to:
- read in an enthusiastic voice with "animation"
- use toys, finger puppets, etc. to create more interesting plot
- add in questions to engage child
- let child imitate a character in the story......

Hope this helps.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Pen88n wrote:Reading starts with parent reading to the child, not the child reading by himself / herself. To get the child interested, parent will have to:
- read in an enthusiastic voice with "animation"
- use toys, finger puppets, etc. to create more interesting plot
- add in questions to engage child
- let child imitate a character in the story......

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

My child only interested in pictures with one word.

Will try use puppets to read to my child next time.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:08 pm

How old is your child?

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Not sure how old is your child.

DS1 loves books and will devour any type. DS2 is the opposite...he doesn't quite like to read. However, noted that DS2 likes animal books. So I'll bring him to the library and get him started on animal books. Kiddo loves to pore through and look at pictures mainly. If there are many words, I'll pick out key words/sentences and read with him. If it's little words, I will read the entire thing to him.

By and by, DS2 is slowly picking up reading. Still don't share the same love of books, but a person can always hope. :-)

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:06 pm

think most preschoolers would rather people read to them, unless that has been done yrs back and they have a wide enough range of vocab to handle the books.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:09 pm

true. but where DS1 will sit with me and have me read to him. DS2 will be squirming like a snake and devising ways to get out. Until the day he got his hands on an animal book...then he spent a long time poring over the pictures.

What I'm trying to say is to find his interest and work from there. DS1 started with dinosaurs...he was very keen on dino books (pictures at least); but has kinda moved on from there.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smartmummy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:51 pm

My son love to read character.My DD is not,but now she slowly start to read.My DD likes to read MT.My Son likes to read EL.

When they start, we have to read for them they will see the pictures and understood.Then learn the phonics.Then they know some words starting with what sound.They have to memorise some words that cannot make by pronounce such us the,who,what,where,when,.at,in,on,etc.My girl's kindergarten gave this list for spelling.Now she can read a lot of words.She is in K1.I entrol in ICR recently.
Now she read a sentence in a page.Slowly I will increase.I remember my son in P1,he liked to read half a page of picture book.Now he is in P3.He can read EL happily,but MT doesn't like to read.When I forced him only he read.I couldn't find interesting books for MT.He doesn't know much vocabulary in MT as he didn't speak in MT.I struggle with him.
I learnt a lesson that we have to read both language books.I read but less books for MT as he didn't like.Yah, find their interest and asked them to choose, better to make interest in reading.
Visit library often and read there.
My DD became interest in books after saw me read books.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:How old is your child?

3 years old. Only read one word book with pictures. Try giving a sentence book, run away. :faint: hard time getting child to read.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Oppsgal wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:How old is your child?

3 years old. Only read one word book with pictures. Try giving a sentence book, run away. :faint: hard time getting child to read.

For 3 years old, try to interest the child by reading to him/her. If needed, act out the characters when reading. Choose short stories that involve animals that your child is interested in. Eg, if he likes dinosaurs, look for simple books with Dino as character. When child gets interested, then introduce new things to the child. Must be patient, don't get disheartened, must persevere. You will soon see the sunlight!

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child