Fear of pooing

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Fear of pooing

Postby Susan Koh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:35 am

I have a two year old toddler who have developed a fear of pooing. It started in May when she had a bout of constipation and ever since she's been scared to poo.

I've tried giving all fruits, prune juice, pears, papaya, apples, probiotics and even lactus to help soften her stool so that it will be easier for her to poo. But after a while I realized that it's more physiological than anything.

The PD told me that it's a phase that will pass. But it's been 4 months and I've been having such a hard time when it's time for my daughter to poo. She always cries and refuses to sit on the potty when she needs to go.

Any advise from parents whose child have overcome their fear? Please share your experience with me. Thanks!

http://ajugglingmom.com/2011/10/the-day ... the-potty/

Susan Koh
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Fear of pooing

Postby Enbin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Try honey. Not those honey from supermarket. Try manuka honey with UMF properties. It help for my kids. You can do some research on it. Ofcos, the honey is quiet costly too.

Enbin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tyut » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Did your methods (all fruits, prune juice, pears, papaya, apples, probiotics and even lactus) help in softening the stools? Because you mentioned that its more of "physiological".

My toddler used to suffer from bouts of constipation. He would sit on the potty for more than an hour and refused to come up, keep telling us he needs to poo, to the extend he even dozed off a couple of times. We had to "force" him away from the potty. We tried all the above methods and did not seems to help much too.

tyut
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Vevey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Try squatting to poo on a thick layer of newspaper for awhile. The posture is easier to poo & might also distract her as it is not a potty. We had done that for DS1 who used to suffer from v bad constipation when young. There's also a squirting lubricant that is available from chinese medical hall if help is really need to clear the harden tip that is blocking the rest.

Praise & reward w stickers when she is successful, might help. Also build up her confidence by reinforcing w "See, it's not painful at all right? U r such a brave gal! Just tell mummy when u need to poo & we will use the toilet, ok?" whenever there is a good experience.

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Enbin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Vevey wrote:Try squatting to poo on a thick layer of newspaper for awhile. The posture is easier to poo & might also distract her as it is not a potty. We had done that for DS1 who used to suffer from v bad constipation when young. There's also a squirting lubricant that is available from chinese medical hall if help is really need to clear the harden tip that is blocking the rest.

Praise & reward w stickers when she is successful, might help. Also build up her confidence by reinforcing w "See, it's not painful at all right? U r such a brave gal! Just tell mummy when u need to poo & we will use the toilet, ok?" whenever there is a good experience.

Yes, agreed with the use of lubricant is effective. However, do take note that it will not be good for prolong usage.

Enbin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MelodyMelody » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi,

Think the fear is real for the child.
Is there any tear or cut on the anus due to the pushing of the hard stools?
Any blood on the stools?

Overlooking the tear or cut (pd also did not prescribe cream) and the constant wear and tear at the wound created pain for the child, and the experience to pass motion will be obvious = pain. It is important to treat the wound with a cream, and make effort to soften the stools to create painless experience for the child when they pass motion. Some stool softening medicine can cause wind in the tummy when they soften the stool at the same time. Forlax (at guardian pharmacy) works quite well, and taste like 100 plus. However if the fear for the child is on pushing, you will need to work differently. The pd will be able to advise you. The pd will tell you how much hard stools the child has in their intestines also. You may have to do some "manual cleaning" - using some pills to pop in the anus or use fleet to get out the old stools etc. The child will definitely scream, but it's important to get out the old stools. Fruit that helps to soften stools are papaya and plums. Lots and lots of water also help. But it depends utlimately what's the fear factor for the child.

Can be pretty frustrating for a parent who is also worried at the same time...but it may help to always remind yourself that the child is not naughty or being difficult.

MelodyMelody
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:57 am

Vege juice commonly found in supermart helps alot. When we tour, we tend to have poo problem coz we donch get to take as much fruits or vege. Then we found out the vege juice from convenient store is a good substitute coz it has lots of fiber. But remember to go for those 100% vege juice and not the sugary blends.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child