Formula for Area of triangle n yelling again

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Formula for Area of triangle n yelling again

Postby Francis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:35 am

It happen yesterday-15/04/09. This crazy (yelling) teacher told the class that formula for area of triangle is :-base x height. One of the girl (from my boy's class) wrote 1/2 x base x height. She yell at this poor girl not to put in the 1/2. just base x height. My boy told me, I check the text book n tell my boy to stick to 1/2 x base x height. Lucky this time, she's not yelling at my boy. Can any expert in math give the correct formula?????!!!!!!

Francis
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:38 am

Of cos is 1/2 (base*height). It is simple stuff; surprise that the teacher made such mistake.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Francis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 am

mummyjoyce wrote:Of cos is 1/2 (base*height). It is simple stuff; surprise that the teacher made such mistake.

If the teacher just want to show that she is the authority in class n want the class to follow her method. How do all this poor kids learn???? She's not only make the mistake, but yell at the poor girl. Advise please!!!!

Francis
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby csc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Francis,
Clearly, this teacher is under a great deal of STRESS. Teachers (and mothers too!) who are not able to cope with their stressful situations yell a lot - that's my observation.

They can be unreasonable and illogical. Sometimes, it's beyond their emotional control - well, I hope she will find a form of release soon.

If my child were in her class and is badly affected by this teacher's mood swings , I will certainly remove my child from the situation.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:53 pm

I'd say this is perfect cause for a formal complaint to high authorities. I can understand teachers having human feelings, but no teacher has the right to teach wrong and insist on it.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Yes, it is time to meet this teacher and told her off in a nice way. Feedback is impt for teachers & also it is poosible to write to the principal to raise awareness in such area.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Francis wrote:
mummyjoyce wrote:Of cos is 1/2 (base*height). It is simple stuff; surprise that the teacher made such mistake.

If the teacher just want to show that she is the authority in class n want the class to follow her method. How do all this poor kids learn???? She's not only make the mistake, but yell at the poor girl. Advise please!!!!

If this is truly happening, it is a severe issue as the children are learning the wrong thing. Instead of jumping to conclusion, perhaps I will suggest to my child to get the teacher to provide a list of formulas that has been taught so far in the communication tool that he/she uses frequently for better understanding(eg. class blog, email, printed notice, etc..). Sometimes children may misunderstand what the teachers are trying to say due to communication issue or it may just be an honest mistake on the teacher's part for listening wrongly too and hence speaking wrongly. Of course, if all these ruled out, then the principal needs to look into the teacher's qualification for teaching at the right level.

Postby EN » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:22 am

Hi Francis

Has your child submitted any classwork on this. Look at your child's work and see if the teacher is marking her work as right or wrong. If she marks your child's work as wrong although it is using the right formula, use that as an eg to talk to the teacher.

It's presumptious to approach the teacher/principal without any evidence and the teacher might just deny her mistakes.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:30 am

EN wrote:Hi Francis

Has your child submitted any classwork on this. Look at your child's work and see if the teacher is marking her work as right or wrong. If she marks your child's work as wrong although it is using the right formula, use that as an eg to talk to the teacher.

It's presumptious to approach the teacher/principal without any evidence and the teacher might just deny her mistakes.

EN provides an excellent suggestion. It is difficult to broach the point to either the teacher or higher authorities based on what you hear from your child or his friends. You need circumstantial evidence to base your case on.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Francis » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:46 pm

csc wrote:Francis,
Clearly, this teacher is under a great deal of STRESS. Teachers (and mothers too!) who are not able to cope with their stressful situations yell a lot - that's my observation.

They can be unreasonable and illogical. Sometimes, it's beyond their emotional control - well, I hope she will find a form of release soon.

If my child were in her class and is badly affected by this teacher's mood swings , I will certainly remove my child from the situation.

Hi CSC, yes, everybody is under stress nowaday. If we adult can't control our mood swing n throw all frastration to the child, what will our children be when they growth up. I've talk to the principle for a change in class,but they can't give me an answer.

Francis
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child