Counsellor for teens - Online Addiction

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Counsellor for teens - Online Addiction

Postby godiva » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 am

My son is 15 this year. A teenager. No longer a child.

But I can't find any other heading to post this thread, so hope that the parents who found a good counsellor can recommend someone for us, if the counsellor also helps teenagers.

He is in an IP school, in Sec 3 this year. He was from GEP and has always done well in his studies. However from Sec 2, he became addicted to gaming. He will be online till wee hours. His studies suffered. But more worrying are his mood swings - increasingly bad tempered (especially if we try to exercise some time control over computer usage), rude (to extent of using vulgarities) , overindulgence in computer usage - skipping meals and sleep...

OUr relationship with him is very strained as we try to talk to him (he considers it nagging, and shouting at him) and very often he refuses to listen to us when we try to have a peaceful discussion.

I am hoping to approach this problem in a rational and calm way by getting a qualified counsellor to help him.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Counsellor for teens - Online Addiction

Postby Zann » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:51 pm

It seems a common problem nowadays. Have you tried approach their school counsellor or discuss with the teacher on the approach? Another question here is since he is no longer a child, how are you going to drag him to go see the counsellor you are going to engage?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby godiva » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:23 pm

School counsellor is not an option. I prefer to go straight to an experienced and good counsellor.

I have spoken to him and I believe he is prepared to go with us. That is not a problem.

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sall » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 am

There is this gentleman(in his late 40s) from Fei Yue counselling..( I can't remember the actual name of the organisation). I attended his talk once and was very impressed with him. Very nice guy, not intimidating at all and he has 3 teenage kids. So he should be very good at handling the fragile emotions of teenagers. Maybe you can google for more details.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LaziDad » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi,

I would like to bring up this old thread for recommendation of good counsellors/motivation speakers 1-1 session. I'm having almost the same problem as TS with my teen boy.

Very appreciate your helps all.

Thx alot.

LaziDad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lucern » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 pm

Is this a common problem among parents here?

lucern
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby boinbi » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:58 pm

My 2 teenage dds are always looking at their handphones when they are at home. They refuse to let me see what they are looking at. Though their school results are alright, I am still concerned about the amount of time they spend at the handphones and the content. Will appreciate any help or recommendation.

boinbi
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby paphio » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:06 pm

This is what I know. Why people (any age) end up addicted to something is because they are seeking experiences that they want but couldn't have directly.
For example, branded goods is to get approval. Games: an alternate world that they experience winning and success.

A family therapist from the USA whom I know personally is coming down to Singapore in Nov to conduct a parenting workshop. He has done amazing work with families, I have attended his workshop once while in the States. I saw how he turned a problematic relationship between an 11 y.o. and her family around on the spot. A lot of times is because of communication breakdown.. frequency is different. His approach is not like typical counsellor/therapist who will tell you should do this or that, this way sure fall to deaf ears especially with the child.

Can PM me to find out more.

He really knows how to sync with the child and teach the parent how to get connected at their level. Once communication can flow through, the conflict starts to resolve.
You can read more at facebook.com/groups/pop4parents or register at
enlightenedparentshappykids.eventbrite.com

paphio
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child