How to train children to be careful on their work?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to train children to be careful on their work?

Postby fohope » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:09 pm

I have been tutoring my dd and she keeps making the same mistakes over and over again despite lot of practices. I had reminded her before she do the assignment and yet, still the same mistakes on grammar, maths. I know she can do it but she is not careful.

Any tips to share on how to be prudent on their work.

fohope
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to train children to be careful on their work?

Postby jedamum » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:04 pm

careless and making the same mistake over and over again is different.
my boy is careless in the sense that he made transfer errors, and error from reading his ugly handwriting.
he makes same mistake over and over again as in for the same question that he got wrong, he can get the same question (same! not similar!) wrong again when i ask him a few months later. the same goes with spelling and tingxie.
vomit blood....

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby alng » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi,

For Maths, I teach my dd to check backwards after she solves a question. This is a way of checking as well. And in the event she has no time to check her answers, she can be assured of minimal carelessness.

For comprehension cloze passage, I ask her to re-read the sentence after she fills in a blank to make sure that the word fits into the sentence. Then after she fills in all the blanks, she has to re-read the whole cloze passage to check for fluency.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MadScientist » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:19 pm

We teach our DD the concept of being able to do it, and do it well. It took a while to set it in motion. One had to be around while our DD was doing the paper, and the other was instilling positive attitudes about taking responsibility, and self-worth. What I did was to tell DD that all the marks are there on the table for her to take. All she needed to do was to take them all. Making careless mistakes is fine, but not checking and wasting the marks is not taking everything that is given to you. I also told her that she has the God given gift to do well, and by doing well, she would be very happy... For herself, and only herself. Then I also told her that her parents and everyone else would be happy not because she did well, but because she is happy.

My wife took time to organize exam papers and they went through the papers about 3 papers a day. Once she surpassed 4 papers, I took the kids out for ice-cream and they ordered anything they wanted. I told everyone that the good fortune is due to their big sister making a very good effort... So we all celebrated her achievement.

Also, once she completed her papers and other homework, it was real playtime... We did our best NOT to control. ;) we worked on a work hard, play harder concept.

Starting from 80, she eventually hit an average of 95, had a positive attitude in doing her papers, wanting to finish her 4-5 papers a day before playing. I am proud to say that there were at least 3 papers that she scored FULL marks and these were celebrated, reinforced that she can do it, as well as "anchored" the feeling of success.

while doing all these, we have been patient, encouraging, and free flow of compliments and hugs. What we learnt is that you need to know your child's love language. Once you know it, fill up the love tank... Only then can they function well to learn more.

I hope that our recent experience inspires you to also grow with your child as they grow up. All the best to your improvement, as well as your child's improvement.

Oh yeah... I already know what to do even before the results comes out.
No matter what the results are, I will ask my DD how she feels about the results, if she felt that she deserved it, etc. She will review the process with me. If it was excellent, I will again anchor the feeling during the process and then the results. If it is not ideal, the importance is that she must feel that she did her best... And anchor that. If she feels that she didn't do her best (which at this point is unlikely as I see tremendous effort on her part), I would anchor her feelings of the process, and then review what could be done better next time, and still tell her that we appreciate her hard work... This is to focus on the process, not the results.

In any way, she will win this... Only because she allowed herself to.
As parents, we have to show them the way... And they WILL learn. Hence, who we really are will produce who they become.

Cheers!

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 pm

3-5 papers a day? :faint:
1 paper averaging 1.5hrs including checking leh.
for my boy, brain-drain after each paper....:sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MadScientist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:57 am

jedamum wrote:3-5 papers a day? :faint:
1 paper averaging 1.5hrs including checking leh.
for my boy, brain-drain after each paper....:sweat:

Yes... no kidding...
It used to be 2 papers a day... seriously takes almost the whole day.

Now, 3 papers can be sorted out in a morning.

This IS the difference when the child is self-motivated versus an external motivation (pressure).

Blessed we are, things just fell into place through a lot of adjustments and learning process. That's why I posted, so that others may look into a similar direction and hopefully find the same pot of gold.

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 am

Hi. MadScientist, may I know how old is your dd? or when you practise this type of learning with her?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:43 am

MadScientist wrote:
I hope that our recent experience inspires you to also grow with your child as they grow up. All the best to your improvement, as well as your child's improvement.

In any way, she will win this... Only because she allowed herself to.
As parents, we have to show them the way... And they WILL learn. Hence, who we really are will produce who they become.

Cheers!

Thanks MadScientist for that sharing.
Nuggets to take home and adapt

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MadScientist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:57 am

comfy wrote:Hi. MadScientist, may I know how old is your dd? or when you practise this type of learning with her?

She's 8 yo. We started last year and had a bit of up and down as both parent and child were learning. This year, it was a lot better... My wife actually did a lot, while I was the concept motivator behind. The roles of each parent had to be defined and refined. May differ with different couples... Some may be the other way around.

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Vevey » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child