Kids of different abilities

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Kids of different abilities

Postby sean wife » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:01 am

I know every kid is different, and we really shouldn’t be comparing…but as we are all mortals, it is really easier said than done….For parents with 2 or more kids, how do you deal with the disparity in learning abilities (concentration span, atitude), especially if you are quite hands-on in coaching? My twin girls are 4 yrs old, and I am starting to get worried as I can see that one of them seems to be catching on Maths concepts pretty much faster than her sister….I would rather prefer them to be above average and on par with one another, rather than one at the top of the pinnacle and the other one much below...but I guess it’s not really within our control. :shrug:

sean wife
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Kids of different abilities

Postby heyhoe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I had the same concerns as you intially but as it is really beyond us, I've accepted this fact.

I've 3 kids and each of them are special in their own way. One could be better academically, another more in sports and the other - just extra sweet and thoughtful. Therefore, in terms of academic, I always emphasise more on their efforts in doing their schoolwork and hope for the best. Also, being siblings, I hope they can provide each other with the support and encouragement.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ConcernedDaddy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:10 pm

differing abilities is natural aspect. Everything is relative in nature.

Think of this extreme scenario. In an imaginary country, there lived a particular Mr Apples, who an IQ of 60. Poor fella? No! He is the president and is the smartest guy around. Why? because it happens that all other people in that country have an IQ of 30.

So everything is relative. And the law of nature is such that every human aspect follows a normal distribution. For every genius, there will be someone less intellectually endowed... Its nobody's fault.

ConcernedDaddy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Pen88n » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:37 pm

My kids have differing abilities I only asked my kids to try their best in whatever they do, and not to "short-changed" themselves in that aspect. Having said that, kids being kids, they do not exactly understand and will still need nagging along the way.

For twins, I supposed the difference in abilities are much more felt as they are working and progressing along side by side. There may be need to separately coach them to prevent the comparison and allow each to progress at their comfortable pace. As they grow, each may find their strengths and interest in different areas and as parents, we should always try not to compare but cultivate them to their own fullest potential.

I know of twins with differing abilities and they ended up in different schools. That is for the best as each can develop to their fullest potential at their own comfortable pace, instead of being ill-fitted into an environment which may benefit one and deprive the other.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child