Advise needed!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Advise needed!

Postby joeyphay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Dear Parents,

My pri 1 girl went through Singapore Chinese Girl admission test last month and was shortlisted for interview. She went through the interview yesterday and everything seems smooth through out the interview (according to my girl, as I am outside the interview room)

Currently she is in CHIJ (OLQP) she was given lots of opportunity e.g appointed a class monitor, group leader, perform on stage etc, norminated as Most discipline student Pri 1. Recently she just took back her assessment profile. (English 96, Math 100 and Chinese 100)

I need advise badly, if she is been selected in scg doubt she will be a big fish in that pond. She had to start all over again. Make new friends, adapt to new environment. But if I continue to let her stay in the current school, I am afraid that she will be too comfortable. Dear parents, if u are in this situation. What will u do.

I spoken to my girl, and she told me she will miss her classmates but she is willing to go over to there.

Appreciate your input.

joeyphay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Advise needed!

Postby MW-Tuition » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Both options have pros and cons. I'm sure you've given it serious thought already. If I were in your shoes, I'd let my daughter stay in her current school as it seems that she is happy there. Besides, uprooting a child to join the endless academic chase can be tiring and taxing for her and for you in the long run. Like you said, she'd miss her classmates. Just my opinion. In any case, good luck! :)

MW-Tuition
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:25 pm

why go through the whole admission test & interview, then now has second thoughts? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby cherrygal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Just bite the bullet and go through with it. Dun regret. If you are not sure, ask your gal what she wants.

Sometimes I wish my mom had forced me to go to a better school when my grades were good enough. The competition would have made me a more ambitious person.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:11 am

I say if she's offered a place, she should switch over to SCGS. She's only in P1. When she joins the school in P2, she will not feel like an outsider bec all the girls will be mixed up from P1 to P2 and everyone's making new friends.

As far as being a big fish in small pond, the girls in SCGS run the gamut of very good to average to weaker students just like all other schools. No need to worry about it.

SCGS has very good programmes, especially for its better classes, and you should take this opportunity if you can.

And finally of course, SCGS has an affiliated secondary school and if you do really well at PSLE you can get on the IP programme. So your dd's school choices are pretty much taken care of all the way to Sec 4 and even JC2.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby bebebub » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 am

My dd switched over to a slightly "bigger pond" at P3. Like your dd, she was happy and was doing well in the old school. We struggled a little when dd was offered a place in the new school but we decide to take up the offer after some discussions with dd.

Based on her good results, she was placed in the top class of her new school (which got me a bit worried that she may not cope). Her FT reminded us to be realistic in our expectations and be prepared that she may face stiffer competition to remain in the top position. The school stream the girls at P3, so although new in the school, dd was able to settle in rather easily. I believe her easy-going personality helps.

Overall, dd is happy in the new school. I am happy that she is able to meet the higher standard and remain in the top class. Meanwhile, dd continues to stay in touch with her best friend from her old school.

IMHO, at P2 or 3, most kids are not too affected by the higher standards. If any, it is the parents' expectations that needs to be managed. What's important is how the child settles into the new environment. I suppose an extrovert child will have a easier time making new friends.

All the best to your dd :smile:

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child