Unknown & Strange calls

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Unknown & Strange calls

Postby Helping--Hand » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Waa.... Very lucky i asked the :siao: caller one question, or else i dunno what to do....
Dear Readers, sharing this incident i had just a few minutes ago...

[caller] Hi, this is a member from the Yamaha Tour, guess you are a child, could you pass the phone to an adult?
[me] Urm.... not at home but did you called the wrong number?
[caller]Nope.
[caller] Okay they are not at home, could you give me your parent's number? I will contact them at once so that they can know better of our tour.
[me] (faking)Their phone's battery is flat.
[caller] okay when is your parents coming back? is it around 5pm to 6pm? i will call again...
*Suddenly my mind appeared a question*
[me] so may i ask you what issue are you sharing with them? and why are you wanting their phone number?
******PUT DOWN THE PHONE AND NO ONE ON THE LINE******
A million times of :yikes: , almost spilling infomation!!!
Any question i could ask to one unknown caller if i am so unfortunate to meet one again in the future?
TIA.
:?:

Helping--Hand
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Unknown & Strange calls

Postby Mdm Koh » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:54 pm

You should take down his number and say that your parents are busy now, but they will call him back later. Don't tell him that your parents are not at home. It's not safe, because he may be able to trace your address.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Helping--Hand » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Mdm Koh wrote:You should take down his number and say that your parents are busy now, but they will call him back later. Don't tell him that your parents are not at home. It's not safe, because he may be able to trace your address.

Oh no ..... :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Helping--Hand
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby LOLMum » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:46 pm

if you receive such calls, you do not have the duty or obligation to give them any information. even if they are police or hospital (which might or might not be true), ask for their names and direct contact no. if they are really who they say they are, they would be able to give you the information.

i am an adult and sometimes i do have such callers who insisted on getting my hubby's contact no or know when he will be home. i always end the call when they refuse to tell me who they are or kept asking questions. very easy, just put the phone back on its stand.

no one should blame you for taking caution. :lol:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 pm

lots of time tele-marketers will call and say " I am calling from such a such bank, or such a such insurance company" ...... I will say "no, you are not...tell me your branch manager's name ..." they are stuck. I hang up
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Helping--Hand » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:28 pm

LOLMum wrote:if you receive such calls, you do not have the duty or obligation to give them any information. even if they are police or hospital (which might or might not be true), ask for their names and direct contact no. if they are really who they say they are, they would be able to give you the information.

i am an adult and sometimes i do have such callers who insisted on getting my hubby's contact no or know when he will be home. i always end the call when they refuse to tell me who they are or kept asking questions. very easy, just put the phone back on its stand.

no one should blame you for taking caution. :lol:

Today learnt a lesson from you,
:thankyou:

Helping--Hand
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Helping--Hand » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:29 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:lots of time tele-marketers will call and say " I am calling from such a such bank, or such a such insurance company" ...... I will say "no, you are not...tell me your branch manager's name ..." they are stuck. I hang up

A little bit rude, eh.
Thank You for your humble help. :)

Helping--Hand
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Helping--Hand wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:lots of time tele-marketers will call and say " I am calling from such a such bank, or such a such insurance company" ...... I will say "no, you are not...tell me your branch manager's name ..." they are stuck. I hang up

A little bit rude, eh.
Thank You for your humble help. :)

If they insist they are not lying, which evidently they are, they don't deserve to waste my time listening to their marketing crap

let me be the rude bad guy to wake them up to stop lying

the caller ID shows that they are not the bank they claim to be calling from. I call them back and is a residential number

I actually have a list of numbers that I blacklist because of repeated nuisance marketing calls.

If they are sincere to tell me the truth I will listen to what they have to offer. But if I detect lying, they are black listed.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Someone called up today and wanted to give me FREE a 12 month subscription to Newsweek, and all that was required was my address.

I said "No thanks."

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Helping--Hand » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:05 pm

But what if he/she calls up again? :sad:

Helping--Hand
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child