how to deal with rebellion in teenagers?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

how to deal with rebellion in teenagers?

Postby nettie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:15 am

Can all share some experience in handling them?

My 13 yr old boy tell me that learnin Chinese and math is useless. He do not want to continue to go Sec 2.

How to handle the him? :?: :?: :?:

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: how to deal with rebellion in teenagers?

Postby nettie » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:44 pm

1) what is his PSLE score? 220

2) his current Sec 1 average performance (50s, 60s, 70s, etc)? 70s except Chinese (20s) and math (60s)

3) he comes home after school on time? yes

4) the type of friends he is mixing with right now? schoolmates

5) do you work? yes

6) who is the main caregiver during off school time? he spend most of his time at home with maid

7) does he have any sibling/s? yes (but he is the eldest)

8) how much TV/computer time he is 'entitled'? 1 hr

9) what are his hobbies? reading and gaming

10) what do you see as his strengths? okie i admit, apart from good written and spoken english. I do not see any strengths in him. OMG!

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nettie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:48 am

hahaha.. insider! I agreed. On the whole he is quite "guai"

His PSLE scored for Chinese is A.. and that is a last min drilling by me, thus i do not understand why he can get F9 this year. I am not able to drill him anymore, it seems that he had grown up alot! I had spoken to his teachers and they told me not to give up and "downgrade" him to foundation chinese.

He will be in Sec 2 next year and that is his steaming yr. I afraid chinese will pull down the rest of his marks and i have JC in mind for him cos i know that he can make it there. But apparently, his chinese seems to be pulling him away from school. He viewed chinese as rubbish as it could not help him in other subjects, thus he do not understand the important of chinese. He said that apart from having coversationm he do not see any value added :yikes:

Haizz... He hate tutors. I do not believe in tutor as well but he is struggling with his maths.

I am thinking if i should let go and switch him to foundation chinese for next year? But once i do that i cannot turn back anymore.

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dingdongrc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 am

:goodpost:

This is a good reminder post for me. I really need to keep this lesson on my grade on my parent-child relationship as I rear my kids aged 2,4,6 today...before I lose sight of it.

Thanks, Insider. And I belive your son will succeed in life. In fact he always has. he is way more fortunate than his other peers who had always had viewed school as a only a way to higher education and it being stressful. High-five to you and DSs!!!

dingdongrc
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heyhoe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Insider,

Thanks for sharing and definitely good post! Although my eldest is only 9, your post reminds me not to loose my bearing.

Education is important but having a good parent-child relationship is much more significant.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby nettie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 am

insider, thanks for your insight :)

I think i will just hang on to it for another year and see how it goes. If this is taking a toll on him, i will just let go the idea of JC. Unless, he can "wake up" in time.

I do not nag at him, i treat him as my little friend but i draw a line. It seems that it is not enough. Maybe, i do not score a A with my little friend here.. have find a suitable timing to talk to him and find out what happen first.

Maybe, I cannot come to terms with his growing up with myself too :P

He is doing well in his CCA(uniform group) and he loves them too :)

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Genius01 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi Insider, good posting and very informative for parents.

I am not sure have you all hear of this :
There is no child who cannot be taught well
there are only parents who do not know how to teach
for those who read about this before may agreed with what is writen above..

We have to learn to appreciate our child and let them free they are being love
this is the most important. and try to understand them.

I learn this from a book.. intereted let me know this help me and my daughter become even closer after I read the book.

Hope this help..

Genius01
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 am

I am probably worried with kid's results if anything lower than 80.

Scare my kid will be left behind... :shrug:

If results are behind, then what can we do? :nailbite:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thatsmygirl » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm

have a talk to know or try to get closer to guessing to know what is it that they really want. some juts want attention some just like the thrill and fun of it. if you remain patient enough the thrill will pass. if your kid is looking for attention then maybe you are not giving enough? IMHO though, hope this helps. (:

thatsmygirl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Working With Your Child