overseas school trip

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

overseas school trip

Postby LOLMum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:12 am

if you allow your secondary school kid to go on an overseas school trip, would you email or call the teachers daily to check on her? teachers already assured parents of daily updates on website and not to call unnecessarily.

or insist that the teachers amend or drop any activity that you deem is not safe despite it being an activity being planned/organised by experienced organisers (singapore experienced overseas education tour organisers) and done by many singapore secondary school kids without any mishaps. the area of activity involved in this instance was very small and the kids worked in group of 6-7 on a treasure hunt (teachers and organisers would be shadowing them throughout the activity).

or happened to take the same fllight and stay in the same hotel as the school?

or asked friends/relatives living in the city to check on the child despite the teachers telling parents not to do so?

i understand the concerns but ..........................i think it is better for the kid to stay at home. gotta :siam: :siam: :siam: for saying this

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: overseas school trip

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 am

I dun understand leh... you mean you did all that or you mean you won't allow your kid to go?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:05 am

haha, my kid went but i did none of the above.

i was pretty surprised when she and her friends told me about what some parents did. i went for the briefing, had my concerns answered and decided to let her go the trip with no interference from me. and i knew she can take care of herself when she called me upon arrival (didnt remind her before she left cos want to see if she remember).

:lol: kinda pity the teachers........

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:11 am

Ohhhh... I also didn't interfere. The HOD did try to sign me up as Parent Volunteer though. And these OTHER parents were also the reason why I didn't sign up. Plus the fact that my DD kicked up a fuss about me going. Kekekekekekeke!

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:17 am

:lol:

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 am

we followed schools' instructions

don't call unless is emergency

kids not allowed to bring mobile phone as (1) make them more homesick and reluctant to join in other activities (2) phone may be stolen / lost -- troublesome for everyone (3) kiasu kiasi parents call them make them more home sick

for secondary school kids they don't ban mobile phone on trips, but they expect the kids (teenagers) to know how to regulate themselves, and parents too

some schools set up blog page for the trip and they update it upon arrival at destination, and post some photos .... to update, and it will reduce frequency of update as the trip progresses as they are immersing fully in the trip
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 am

LOLMum wrote:if you allow your secondary school kid to go on an overseas school trip, would you email or call the teachers daily to check on her? teachers already assured parents of daily updates on website and not to call unnecessarily.

or insist that the teachers amend or drop any activity that you deem is not safe despite it being an activity being planned/organised by experienced organisers (singapore experienced overseas education tour organisers) and done by many singapore secondary school kids without any mishaps. the area of activity involved in this instance was very small and the kids worked in group of 6-7 on a treasure hunt (teachers and organisers would be shadowing them throughout the activity).

or happened to take the same fllight and stay in the same hotel as the school?

or asked friends/relatives living in the city to check on the child despite the teachers telling parents not to do so?

i understand the concerns but ..........................i think it is better for the kid to stay at home. gotta :siam: :siam: :siam: for saying this

I just read this. Yes, I know of parents who conveniently book the same flight and stay at the same hotel as their kids during school trips. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby pacetone » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm one parent who doesn't call but will skype with my kids when they're overseas. Both my boys are from different secondary schools but the schools have made arrangement for parents to skype with their kids at certain time every night. I think this is a very good way to communicate and at the same time, could check exactly where they are staying and view their rooms.

pacetone
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child