How to turn down strangers request to hug toddler

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to turn down strangers request to hug toddler

Postby clonob » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:29 am

My 1+ year old DD likes to interact with adult strangers and she would automatictically comply when they wanted to hug her. Initially I am ok with this until an auntie (stranger) saw how readily she likes to be hugged by strangers, she warned me of the dangers if my toddler met with someone of ill intention.

Thus I am thinking of rejecting any strangers from hugging my DD in future. But I have no idea on how to reject them politely without offending them. Could anyone help advise me on this? Greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to turn down strangers request to hug toddler

Postby cnimed » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:47 am

Eeks, I hate to have strangers touching my kids! Besides safety, have you consider the health factors? My parents also do not allow strangers to touch the kids precisely because our family doctor warned them against it because he knows of cases where young toddlers caught infectious disease from strangers. Think of all the viruses! Kissing especially is not allowed.

My children are not allowed to wander to others' tables or personal space - this is more out of politeness. When they were smaller, we would carry them in our arms if strange hands start reaching out. If someone wants to carry them, we will just say no and make excuse that the kid is not well and change topic. As they got older, I warned them of stranger danger, and told them which neighbors they could turn to for help.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby clonob » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:28 am

Oh no, I had been letting lots of strangers shaking her hands nearly everyday! :slapshead: I am such a bad mummy, not protecting my DD :cry:

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:01 am

clonob wrote:Oh no, I had been letting lots of strangers shaking her hands nearly everyday! :slapshead: I am such a bad mummy, not protecting my DD :cry:

No yo are not. :hugs:

Look she is fine now, so no harm done.
Just avoid in future.

If you are the soft kind of person, just cook up an excuse.
Like you could say - Sorry, She is allergic to perfumes and deoderants. So Doc has advices not to have contact with adults.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clonob » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:15 am

Sun 2010, that's very comforting :kiss: And your idea is very good. Will use them in future. Hope you won't sue me for copyright :wink:

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby smurf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:29 am

what bout just shaking hands and touch the hair? dun understand why some ah peks or aunty want to pat young children! :mad:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:17 am

People love DS2. On various occasions he's had strangers give him hugs, pinches to his cheeks, and once even a kiss!

Carrying him usually helped to reduce unwanted touches. But sometimes people won't get the message...

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cnimed » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:37 am

Those working in hospitals and teaching professions will not want their kids to shake hands with many strangers. My relative who is a teacher keeps antiseptic wipes and will quickly wipe my kids' hands afterwards, haha. It's not so bad if the kids are older and have stopped putting their hands into their mouths but younger kids, even shaking hands is not something I encourage. A polite greeting and thank you where appropriate however are required of the kids. No need to get into physical contact. All my neighbors have commented that my kids are very friendly.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cherrygal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:19 pm

I scolded an ah pek who touched my DD's cheek after coming out of the men's toilet! We were just waiting for the baby room to be vacant and he touched her cheek while I was rummaging through my bag. God!

I never let my kids be touched by strangers. We always avoid it where possible. My excuse to strangers who ask would be my DD may cry since she is "afraid" of strangers. This excuse usually works.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clonob » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 pm

cherrygal wrote:I scolded an ah pek who touched my DD's cheek after coming out of the men's toilet! We were just waiting for the baby room to be vacant and he touched her cheek while I was rummaging through my bag. God!

I never let my kids be touched by strangers. We always avoid it where possible. My excuse to strangers who ask would be my DD may cry since she is "afraid" of strangers. This excuse usually works.

The ah pek :spank:

clonob
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child