At what age do you get your child to shower on their own?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

At what age do you get your child to shower on their own?

Postby clioclio » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Can i just ask at what age do you start getting your kid to shower on their own? and how do you transit them from helping them in the shower?
I have 2 girls 4 and 2 and my helper showers them. (shampoo, bath foam and then towel dry).
So far they can now dress themselves (younger one sometimes need help)

I hope to train them to be able to shower on their own (at least for the older kid?) any tips/ideas? :thankyou:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: At what age do you get your child to shower on their own

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:46 pm

My DD1 started about 5/6yos.

I just tell her she's a big girl liao :smile:

Just gradually let her take over. First help her with the part that she find hardest and then after awhile she will be fully responsible for all the washing.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Ok, i hope to get the girls more independnt then my maid can do more housework :)

Thanks!

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:01 pm

My boy showered himself at 4yo. I still monitor from outside to make sure he washes the private areas properly.

He actually wanted to be independent so in the beginning, I just gave verbal instructions like what to do first - wash hands with soap, then start with shampoo etc...

Both my kids stopped their tubs at about 2yo. They must get used to showers as childcare centres don't use tubs. Both also had no issues with showering their heads.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 pm

For my boy, he requested to bathe himself at 3yos ++, I just close eyes and let him do it. :rotflmao:

I will still remind him to wash all the areas but because I know I will bathe him again when he's home so I let him be. Now he wants my help again. My target age for my kids is 5/6 yos.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Mine... both at 4 years old. :D It was when i was certain they can really cleanse themselves and shower properly ie. cleanly and without water wastage. :lol:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby clioclio » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 pm

My 4 yr old girl sometimes requests to bathe herself. Last time i'll fill up a pail with water and a dipper and get her to shampoo/soap herself and then she rinses with the pail of wter instead of using the shower head.

Do you let your child use the showerhead to rinse him/herself or ...? I find that they tend to use that as a plaything (she says she's cleaning the walls ofthe toilet!!) then really showering.

Now for efficiency sake i get my maid to bathe the 2 girls together (4 and 2 yrs old). I think my 4 yr old can shower on her own but not the 2 yr old..hmmm maybe i can get the jie jie to shower the mei mei... :roll:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby happyheart » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 pm

My 2 boys are able to handle everything by Age 5-6 ( before starting P1) Being boys, I think it is important not to depend on maids...

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happyheart » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:48 pm

My 2 boys are able to handle everything by Age 5-6 ( before starting P1) Being boys, I think it is important not to depend on maids...

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Angelight » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:28 am

Hmm...reading this post made me think perhaps it's time to let DD learnt o bathe herself soon, since she will be turning 5 later next yr.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child