2nd Language & dialect issues

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

2nd Language & dialect issues

Postby papafunny » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:57 pm

hi fellow parents,

my daugther had just turned 5 . i am getting worried on her languages skills (mandarin/ hokkien). her mandarin is weak and whenever we spoke to her in mandarin she would replied in english despite that she understands what we means, we would watch mandarin drama series, spoke to my wife in chinese just to arouse her interests. her mandarin school work during the k1 was not really ideal and i am afraid if the upcoming k2 preparation is insufficient then it might snowball to primary school.

second concerns would be the dialect- hokkien. yes you may laugh hokkien would be the easiest dialect among all to pick up. the academic concerns from the parents had caused inbalance in learning hokkien too..

any tips from parents out there to share ?

papafunny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: 2nd Language & dialect issues

Postby silverhorse » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:47 am

papafunny wrote:hi fellow parents,

my daugther had just turned 5 . i am getting worried on her languages skills (mandarin/ hokkien). her mandarin is weak and whenever we spoke to her in mandarin she would replied in english despite that she understands what we means, we would watch mandarin drama series, spoke to my wife in chinese just to arouse her interests. her mandarin school work during the k1 was not really ideal and i am afraid if the upcoming k2 preparation is insufficient then it might snowball to primary school.

second concerns would be the dialect- hokkien. yes you may laugh hokkien would be the easiest dialect among all to pick up. the academic concerns from the parents had caused inbalance in learning hokkien too..

any tips from parents out there to share ?

Hi papafunny,

My 2nd son( DS2) started going to Berries since K1, and will continue into K2. I did not send DS1 for chinese enrichment class in K1 and K2 and I somehow regretted it. For I think foundation is very important for languages. If not, by the time they reach P1, they might lose interest in Chinese language. I tried to speak Chinese at home too, but both sons prefer to converse in English. Try to read chinese story books too. As for Hokkien, my MIL speaks to them in Hokkien, but they reply her in mandarin. Its funny, but at least my 2 sons understand the dialect!

silverhorse
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby papafunny » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:48 pm

hi silver horse,

whats interesting is that my 2 kids dont mind to watch chinese drama/ cartoon, they spoke with each other (between the siblings) using chinese at times too.. :slapshead:

papafunny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby cherrygal » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Kids that age seem to be averse to Mandarin if you start with English at home. My son was angry when we spoke to him in Chinese when he was 3 - 4yo. Then we sent him for Chinese enrichment classes and his interest sparked. He is now doing Higher Chinese and can score above 95/100 due to his competitive streak. We don't speak any Chinese at home too but like you, we watch Ch 8 dramas and variety shows. He enjoys the Sheng Siong show too. Dun worry too much.

Personally, when I was a kid, my family didn't speak Chinese too as my parents couldn't. We only conversed in English and Cantonese. But that didn't stop me from getting prizes in Chinese at school. My Chinese tutor helped a lot.

And I must emphasize that it is more important to develop your kid's competitive streak and drive to succeed. That drive can make a person want to perform well in any subject.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby papafunny » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:02 pm

hi cherrygal,

thanks i thought so the most paramount would be to gain their interests in the particular topic as i believe internal drive far more essential than anything would be... but besides getting their competitive strive doing it the more ethical way can be equally important too..

papafunny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby cherrygal » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:47 pm

dun understand papafunny... wat do you mean more ethical way? Nothing unethical with developing competitive streak leh

you mean a more conventional / traditional way?

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child