Pen chewing

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Pen chewing

Postby spwriting » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have kids that are pen chewers and what do you do about it? My dd has started chewing her pens towards the end of last year and we thought it was just a phase. But I think it has gotten worst. We threw out all her old chewed ones and bought her new pens for this year but barely one month, all of them are all chewed and have teethmarks all over. Even her favourite Hello Kitty mechanical pencil from primary school also have chew marks now and the backend cap is nearly chewed flat! When questioned, she just say she doesn’t know why she did it and maybe sometimes when bored in class! If she is 5, I can still understand but she’s already in secondary school! Anyone has ideas or seen this? Some webpages suggested painting funny stuff but I also don’t want to get her poisoned. We tried scolding as well as friendly chat but doesn’t seem to work.

I don't think she has ADD or sensory stuff things and she seem to do well in school- at least so far.

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Pen chewing

Postby seekingangels » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:35 pm

how about pepper? if she gets too near the end of the pencil she would sneeze? (:

seekingangels
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kieratan79 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am

spwriting wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have kids that are pen chewers and what do you do about it? My dd has started chewing her pens towards the end of last year and we thought it was just a phase. But I think it has gotten worst. We threw out all her old chewed ones and bought her new pens for this year but barely one month, all of them are all chewed and have teethmarks all over. Even her favourite Hello Kitty mechanical pencil from primary school also have chew marks now and the backend cap is nearly chewed flat! When questioned, she just say she doesn’t know why she did it and maybe sometimes when bored in class! If she is 5, I can still understand but she’s already in secondary school! Anyone has ideas or seen this? Some webpages suggested painting funny stuff but I also don’t want to get her poisoned. We tried scolding as well as friendly chat but doesn’t seem to work.

I don't think she has ADD or sensory stuff things and she seem to do well in school- at least so far.

pepper helps..... but maybe should check.... just to be secured...

kieratan79
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby babymama02 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:56 pm

what can pepper do?

babymama02
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby dragonflysg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 pm

I remember my mum rubbing chilli onto the pencil without telling us...

dragonflysg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MrsSeah » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Oh.. please tell me got any cure? I also a pen chewer. :oops: :oops: :oops: I also don't know why I chew. I always chew when I am thinking something / day dream and it automatic go into my mouth. I chew anything - pen, pencil, straw, stick... as long as anything I hold on my hand and the next moment I noticed, I am chewing. Even my dd know my bad habit and will shout "MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!" when she noticed it. :nailbite: :nailbite: :nailbite: :nailbite:

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mongz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:31 pm

I understand that it may have started from boredom or even anxiety and most of the people who did so subconsciously. My nephew was recently being bullied in school, he is only 7 years old and he started doing that. Chewing on things subconsciously. Monitor and check if there is anything affecting her. If there is really anything, then need to cure that at the source

mongz
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby spwriting » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:25 pm

haha... and did you stop?

I tried pepper but she got rather angry. She say her pencil case now smell like some herbal soup! she says many of her classmates also chew pens and their mothers do not do anything about it.

so her pens continue to have teethmarks. :( Can't imagine too all her saliva on the pens after all the chewing and then next day she chew on them again. eeew.

dragonflysg wrote:I remember my mum rubbing chilli onto the pencil without telling us...

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dragonflysg » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am

I vaguely remember I did stop after a while. The shock of spicy chilli after you just got into a daze is a good wake up call! Pun intended!

spwriting wrote:haha... and did you stop?

I tried pepper but she got rather angry. She say her pencil case now smell like some herbal soup! she says many of her classmates also chew pens and their mothers do not do anything about it.

so her pens continue to have teethmarks. :( Can't imagine too all her saliva on the pens after all the chewing and then next day she chew on them again. eeew.

dragonflysg wrote:I remember my mum rubbing chilli onto the pencil without telling us...

dragonflysg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schweppes » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:12 pm

MrsSeah wrote:Oh.. please tell me got any cure? I also a pen chewer. :oops: :oops: :oops: I also don't know why I chew. I always chew when I am thinking something / day dream and it automatic go into my mouth. I chew anything - pen, pencil, straw, stick... as long as anything I hold on my hand and the next moment I noticed, I am chewing.

Even my dd know my bad habit and will shout "MOMMY!!!!!!!!!!!" when she noticed it. :nailbite: :nailbite: :nailbite: :nailbite:

Alamak, MrsSeah... even your emoticons are showing that u are chewing on your fingers :yikes:

(just kidding :wink: don't get angry hor.... :please: )

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child