Lazy & Low Attention Span Kid

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Lazy & Low Attention Span Kid

Postby chic_savvy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 am

I have a problem with my 8yr old girl. She has a lazy trait and cannot focus her attention (except play!) on her work that is given to her. Despite these 2 negative traits, she is actually quite a bright girl. And occasional mistakes she made were obvious that they were careless ones because 2 of the same type of sums, she could get one right and another wrong.

When it comes to showering or even brushing her teeth, she would either take her shower very very late or forgets about brushing her teeth! I had to chase and remind her almost all the time! I really don't know what to do with her now as recently, I have also blew my top more often because of these. Tell me what I should do parents, I am at my end wits. :stupid:

chic_savvy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Lazy & Low Attention Span Kid

Postby cherrygal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 am

Can't really tell you what to do as my P2 boy is displaying similar traits (refuses to read books or do assessment books unless I blow my top, and eats slowly etc). We nag a lot but at least he got into Band 1 so I am not complaining. Guess we need to relax a bit if they can still do well despite not putting in 100% effort.

Least Effort -> Maximum Result = Work Efficiency? (DH's theory)

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chic_savvy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 am

But I wouldn't expect that coming from a girl! :slapshead: I try not to care but on the other hand, I can't let her make mistakes. sigh...

chic_savvy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby beanbear » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 am

Hi chic-savvy,

My girl is similar - very bright, articulate, yet no sense of urgency, takes a long time to complete tasks, cannot finish exam questions, find it hard to focus during lessons. Recently she was diagnosed with Attention deficit. It's more uncommon with girls. DD is 10 years old and in her earlier years she was displaying low focus, takes long time to finish homework, forgetfullness but I wasn't aware that she had ADD until she started to fail in her exams from P3 onwards. If you notice more symptoms of lack of focus and difficulties in finishing work, you probably should seek help from an educational psychologist to get a proper diagnosis and suggestions for how to help your child cope. It gets tougher when academic requirements become more demanding.

beanbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 am

Dun forget to check her vision. Some kids lose interest if they cannot see well. Check this before you send her for ADD diagnosis. Very impt.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Andaiz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 am

Hi there, my 9 year old is also a bright child but no sense of urgency. I notice that sometimes, she claims to be "bored" and then troop off to do her own thing.

I don't think she's ADD but I was also reading up on Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) which is a fairly unknown diagnosis here in Singapore.

You may want to take a look at this link http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/
before bringing him/her in for a diagnosis.
I've not sent her for a test BTW - I think I'm partly in denial, and partly to watch this more closely and then decide if its just attentional issues or really processing issues. HTH.

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm

haha, nowadays, parents are all very kiasu and wealthy enough to get their "lazy" kids diagnosed for various disorders. In the past, our parents just cane us if we are lazy... dun study go and sweep floor next time.

I still think an eye check is the least we could do to eliminate this factor.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chic_savvy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:03 am

Thanks parents for your share of stories and advice.

Her last eye sight check was mid last year in her school annual check. It was normal. She also sits at the back of the class now (but also not far away from the white board) and seems to manage well.

Btw, do attention deficit symptoms only applied to lose of focus in school and home work? :evil: Cos when it comes to play, she's becomes vibrant and could even divulge nitty gritty details about certain cartoons, animations... Can't understand why she can't apply her enthusiasm into her serious work. :slapshead:

And she isn't over hyper though, just like a normal kid who gets all sweaty and energetic when it comes to play. Able to stop when asked to. And beanbear's situation is very similar to my girl's, she only loses her focus and concentration on serious and basic stuffs.

Cherry gal, you are right, my time (or our time), there were no excuses or reasons for a child when they behaved lazy. Work not done, :spank: ! Now even being "lazy" can be labelled as a disorder.

chic_savvy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chic_savvy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:04 am

Yes, think I will get her eye sight checked as well :)

chic_savvy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby yuanyuan mama » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi,

My dd is in P3. She is not lazy but low attention span. Her tuition teacher would complaint to me that she sort of losing her focus in the mid till the end of the lesson. Her school teacher told me exactly the same thing last year.

Also, my gal is very forgetful. I don't know how many times I had replaced the erasers, water bottle, rulers.......as she either forgot where she placed it or "lost to no where" as she claimed. I scolded, reminded and threatened with cane, no use. Still the same, to the extend that I suspect something wrong with her.

Any advice for me, please feel free to share. I am at my wits' end too :slapshead:

yuanyuan mama
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child