Son doesn't like colouring

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Son doesn't like colouring

Postby kylene » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi,

my son is N2 this year (turning 4 in June this year) and his teacher says he doesn't like to colour - whether using crayons or colour pencils. He will colour a few strokes and sit there and refuse to do anymore. I've tried asking him to colour at home but he refuses to do it.

He attends Berries class and the teacher also noticed that he cannot hold the pencil properly and has trouble drawing lines or circles.

Does this mean he has poor fine motor skills and does he need additional help like OT?

thanks!

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Son doesn't like colouring

Postby jedamum » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 pm

kylene wrote:Hi,

my son is N2 this year (turning 4 in June this year) and his teacher says he doesn't like to colour - whether using crayons or colour pencils. He will colour a few strokes and sit there and refuse to do anymore. I've tried asking him to colour at home but he refuses to do it.

He attends Berries class and the teacher also noticed that he cannot hold the pencil properly and has trouble drawing lines or circles.

Does this mean he has poor fine motor skills and does he need additional help like OT?

thanks!

try to make colouring fun. let him play stuff that trains fine motor skills eg playdoh. blocks. it may translate to poor handwriting next time if you overlook this development stage. give plenty of praises. i got those type of 'twistables' crayons for my ds2 to encourage him to colour (http://www.crayola.com/products/list.cf ... =TWISTABLE no need to buy specific crayola...have other brands too...). we dont do so much colouring at home because it is monotonous. i got those sticker-colouring book, so he could stick the stickers and colour some small bits. sometimes i colour together with him.
now at K2, his handwriting is quite good....if he bothers to write properly. :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kylene » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:30 pm

I have the twistables! haha. I bought them hoping that he will find them fun and colour more but alas, the novelty lasted 5min.

He does painting at home , just wondering why he _just_ won't colour. I love colouring as a kid haha. but I suppose like you said, some may find it monotonous.

kylene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm

kylene wrote:I have the twistables! haha. I bought them hoping that he will find them fun and colour more but alas, the novelty lasted 5min.

He does painting at home , just wondering why he _just_ won't colour. I love colouring as a kid haha. but I suppose like you said, some may find it monotonous.

my boys never like colouring. i don't like colouring too.
but luckily ds2's nursery teacher had trained him (tears and all though after having to erase and re-colour - imagine the mess) to colour reasonably well. i did my share of 'good guy' at home. i never insisted for ds1 back then, and am now tearing my hair over his illegible handwriting now at upper pri. :slapshead: motorskills training! never underestimate the monotonous activity like colouring... :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby chenwj » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:15 pm

My boy doesn't like colouring too! He likes to draw but when it comes to colouring, he does not put in as much effort. After some talks with him, I realise he did not want to colour proper because he lack the patience.

End up I often accompany him to colour, in a way help to build up his patience. :scared:

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Careermum » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi kylene, Sometimes it is just wrong way of holding the pencil. No need OT. Since the pre-school teacher noticed it, ask her if she can keep an eye on your son, and correct him. If after one or two months there's no improvement, then you may have to do the correction yourself at home, by letter your son do some writing at home.

This happened to my ds3 also. He hold the pencil tripod style, ie thumb, index & middle fingers all holding it, instead of letting the pencil rest on the middle finger like what we do. I suggested to the childcare teacher to look out for him, but probably she's too busy. Still not corrected by 1st week of P1. So I made ds3 do some writing at home now.

Careermum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby phankao » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

chenwj wrote:My boy doesn't like colouring too! He likes to draw but when it comes to colouring, he does not put in as much effort. After some talks with him, I realise he did not want to colour proper because he lack the patience.

End up I often accompany him to colour, in a way help to build up his patience. :scared:

Is it bad to dislike colouring? My boys don't like. My eldest boy once drew a building and handed it up not coloured, and when the teacher asked why, he said bc the building is WHITE!!!

The boys are teenagers already. Don't see the harm it's done to them.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 am

Same here. Both my boys dislike coloring. One has handwriting issues, the other doesn't. The one who had handwriting issues actually did much much more coloring and develope the wrong grip in school because he was trying very hard to hang on to the pencils. I only realized it later. Grip and strength are more important.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:31 am

DD and DS hates colouring too. They like to meddle with paint and water colours but find colouring tedious. If the question say to colour the number of items, what they will do is just use 1 colour pencil and put a squiggle in the picture just to mark off the required number.

Their preschool teacher gave up trying to get them to colour their own drawings. She told us, both exactly the same. Wonderful drawings with great details until they start colouring. So she was resigned to black & white drawings from DD & DS.

Told them it is necessary to fill in the picture with colour if the question says to colour but I don't bother about how nicely they colour.

Handwriting wise, both no issues. DD is experimenting with her handwriting now one day it will be nice print, next day she can give me super small prints, other days she may decide to scribble thinking that it is more mature writing that way. But her chinese words are beautiful, nicer then mine.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby chenwj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 am

phankao wrote:
chenwj wrote:My boy doesn't like colouring too! He likes to draw but when it comes to colouring, he does not put in as much effort. After some talks with him, I realise he did not want to colour proper because he lack the patience.

Is it bad to dislike colouring? My boys don't like. My eldest boy once drew a building and handed it up not coloured, and when the teacher asked why, he said bc the building is WHITE!!!

The boys are teenagers already. Don't see the harm it's done to them.

im just worried its a sign of laziness. :sweat: i dun wan DS to grow up and "siam-ming" the things which requires patience. i'm trying to encourage him to do jigsaws. but I have to do it together with him, or wifey gotta do it together with him. :sweat:

chenwj
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child