My 3YO boy refuse to wash his hair :(

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My 3YO boy refuse to wash his hair :(

Postby forrestgump4 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:51 pm

My 3YO boy now still need me and my mom (caregiver) to wash his hair like how we did for him when he is an infant.

He doesn't like his face to have a single drop of water. Now that he is getting older and heavier, it is very hard to wash his hair and to carry him like an infant.

When I tried to pour water over him, he will scream and cried. Worst thing is he doesn't seem to know that he can close his eyes when water came pouring down. Then the next day he'll keep saying he doesn't want to wash his hair.

Help! How to overcome this fear of his?

forrestgump4
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: My 3YO boy refuse to wash his hair

Postby cherrygal » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 pm

You can buy a shower hat for kids from Daiso. It shields their eyes from the water coming down.

Alternatively, get ready dry towels to wipe his face constantly while washing his hair. My gal is ok with washing hair if there's a dry towel within reach.

And you must always use Baby Shampoo (no tears). Normal shampoo is very stinging to the eyes.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: My 3YO boy refuse to wash his hair :(

Postby UncleLim » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:22 pm

forrestgump4 wrote:My 3YO boy now still need me and my mom (caregiver) to wash his hair like how we did for him when he is an infant.

He doesn't like his face to have a single drop of water. Now that he is getting older and heavier, it is very hard to wash his hair and to carry him like an infant.

When I tried to pour water over him, he will scream and cried. Worst thing is he doesn't seem to know that he can close his eyes when water came pouring down. Then the next day he'll keep saying he doesn't want to wash his hair.

Help! How to overcome this fear of his?

Put on his swimming goggles !! :imcool:

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby nerov » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:33 pm

I've gone through the same phase. My boy finally stood up and washed his hair like a grown up at 3.5 years old, though he is still squirmish about it at 4.5 years old.

What we did was a "step 3" program. At the initial stage, we will get him to wash the back of his head (step 1) and wash his side (step 2), all these standing up without water falling on his face. Then, we will carry him to wash the top of his head (step 3). This is to get him used to the sensation of water falling on his head, without the impact of water all over the face and eyes, which he fears.

After a few days we convinced him to wash his whole head standing up. Alternatively, you can get him to bend forward, so the water doesn't roll down his face as much.

There will be some fussiness definitely, but you need to preserve. For us, my boy was getting so tall and heavy, it was impossible to carry him like an infant anymore.

nerov
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby forrestgump4 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:46 pm

nerov wrote:I've gone through the same phase. My boy finally stood up and washed his hair like a grown up at 3.5 years old, though he is still squirmish about it at 4.5 years old.

What we did was a "step 3" program. At the initial stage, we will get him to wash the back of his head (step 1) and wash his side (step 2), all these standing up without water falling on his face. Then, we will carry him to wash the top of his head (step 3). This is to get him used to the sensation of water falling on his head, without the impact of water all over the face and eyes, which he fears.

After a few days we convinced him to wash his whole head standing up. Alternatively, you can get him to bend forward, so the water doesn't roll down his face as much.

There will be some fussiness definitely, but you need to preserve. For us, my boy was getting so tall and heavy, it was impossible to carry him like an infant anymore.

Hi hi! Yes it is now difficult for my mom to do that esp she's not as young as me. The 3 steps are all done when he is still standing up with the shampoo on his hair?

forrestgump4
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: My 3YO boy refuse to wash his hair

Postby forrestgump4 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:51 pm

cherrygal wrote:You can buy a shower hat for kids from Daiso. It shields their eyes from the water coming down.

Alternatively, get ready dry towels to wipe his face constantly while washing his hair. My gal is ok with washing hair if there's a dry towel within reach.

And you must always use Baby Shampoo (no tears). Normal shampoo is very stinging to the eyes.

Ok, let me go check it out.
But my boy a bit fussy. He doesn't like to wear hats or caps..... :(

forrestgump4
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 pm

what i did.
1. keep a dry towel handy (use my shirt also can).
2. instruct the kid to tilt his chin upwards when i wash his hair. hardly gets water into his eyes like that :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby autumnbronze » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 pm

jedamum wrote:what i did.
2. instruct the kid to tilt his chin upwards when i wash his hair. hardly gets water into his eyes like that :wink:

:hi5: and ditto for point 2 , jedamum!

DS1 hates water and shampoo running down his face. So by getting him to tilt his chin upwards or head backwards, water runs down behind.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 pm

autumnbronze wrote:
jedamum wrote:what i did.

:hi5: and ditto for point 2 , jedamum!

DS1 hates water and shampoo running down his face. So by getting him to tilt his chin upwards or head backwards, water runs down behind.

:hi5: i have been doing that myself for 3 decades ;)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MirandaKer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:21 pm

hmm not sure what suggestions to give too ... never had such problem.

maybe u should bring him for a swim?

MirandaKer
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child