Getting my son not to glue himself to the computer?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Getting my son not to glue himself to the computer?

Postby HopeandSorrows » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:35 pm

My Primary 5 boy spends a lot of his free time on Facebook, chatting, playing games. Apart from his regular school work, swimming lessons and Chinese language lessons - he park himself in front of his comp.

Want to scold also dunno what to scold.

HopeandSorrows
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Getting my son not to glue himself to the computer?

Postby Manfrotto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:57 pm

It will only get tougher in the next few years if you don't intervene now:) . Not going to be an easy process. You could just set a time limit during the day as to how long he is allowed to be logged on (someone has to enforced it.) Or you could spend time to reason out your concern about him devoting too much time to his online activities and hopefully he will be willing to accept your point of view. It will also be wise to have other alternatives for him to channel his access energy into. Something of greater interest and constructive. Good luck! :rahrah:

Manfrotto
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby HopeandSorrows » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:01 pm

I have no good reasons to bar him from the computer. He finished his homework, his grades are relatively okay and he help me run errands at times :D

I rather he spend his free time reading and i am hoping he would ask me to send him for more course.

Whenever I peek at what he's doing on the comp, it's always FACEBOOK. Argh! Should bar Facebook! :smile: I always have this feeling he is not doing something constructive on the computer. Sigh....

Manfrotto wrote:It will only get tougher in the next few years of you don't intervene now:) . Not going to be an easy process. You could just set a time limit during the day as to how long he is allowed to be logged on (someone has to enforced it.) Or you could spend time to reason out your concern about him devoting too much time to his online activities and hopefully he will be willing to accept your point of view. It will also be wise to have other alternatives for him to channel his access energy into. Something of greater interest and constructive. Good luck!

HopeandSorrows
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Manfrotto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

:lol: Make use of his passion and turn it into something constructive:) Get him to post pictures (may spark his interest in photography), decorate! his wall with interesting News, articles, current issues etc that he could share his input and thoughts on the subject. I thing this is helpful with his creative, thinking and writing skills:) You could even join him! I see it as a great opportunity for you guys to have a common interest for bonding. :celebrate:

Manfrotto
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby smartmummy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Does he play facebook games?Earlier we discussed here.My son in P4 and I allowed to play fb games. Then I got trouble, yesterday onwards I ban fb games. I removed all games. Fb illegal to see for primary students.He use my fb account and played. I heard from him a game called hackers. He said the game owner can use other people account and take something from them without their knowledge. I saw his friend post something undesirable. Then I enquirer him, he said the above.this kids don't know seriousness. Then I told him our fb account in danger. Then we wanted to delete our account. Then I removed all the games. Now I allow him to play other Internet games in the weekend only.
I also tried to change his activities in a constructive way writing Sci block but he started to see block then ending in games.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HopeandSorrows » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Manfrotto wrote::lol: Make use of his passion and turn it into something constructive:) Get him to post pictures (may spark his interest in photography), decorate! his wall with interesting News, articles, current issues etc that he could share his input and thoughts on the subject. I thing this is helpful with his creative, thinking and writing skills:) You could even join him! I see it as a great opportunity for you guys to have a common interest for bonding. :celebrate:

I myself got hooked onto the Facebook cafe game for a while :scared: but i snapped out of it. I stopped using Facebook because I think my life is seeping away on Facebook. :frustrated:

Hmmm you are right. If i can't beat Facebook, then I shall join my son on Facebook. I could nag on him via Facebook by posting messages on his wall such as "Have you done your Homework?" or "Go Shower Now!!" :scared:

:heresmyfish:

by the way, the icons here are very cute :rahrah:

HopeandSorrows
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby HopeandSorrows » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:56 pm

smartmummy wrote:Does he play facebook games?Earlier we discussed here.My son in P4 and I allowed to play fb games. Then I got trouble, yesterday onwards I ban fb games. I removed all games. Fb illegal to see for primary students.He use my fb account and played. I heard from him a game called hackers. He said the game owner can use other people account and take something from them without their knowledge. I saw his friend post something undesirable. Then I enquirer him, he said the above.this kids don't know seriousness. Then I told him our fb account in danger. Then we wanted to delete our account. Then I removed all the games. Now I allow him to play other Internet games in the weekend only.
I also tried to change his activities in a constructive way writing Sci block but he started to see block then ending in games.

You meant you emailed Facebook and told them to delete the Facebook accounts? Actually I think our children are attracted to the Facebook games, not so much of the social features.

HopeandSorrows
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby happyheart » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:50 pm

My son has been nagging me to allow him to start a FB account. He complains that most of his friends have an account and thinks that not having one makes him look 'uncool'! m :sad:
Haha...Personally I feel it is not appropriate and necessary to have at his age so I rejected his request. Instead, I drag him outdoor for exercise and get him more books to read! So far so good :lol:

I do allow him one hour of online time during weekend if he can finish the tasks without complain.

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 pm

I wanted to delete. Then I didn't delete.my son's friend adding so many unknown people cos of the game.
HopeandSorrows wrote:
smartmummy wrote:Does he play facebook games?Earlier we discussed here.My son in P4 and I allowed to play fb games. Then I got trouble, yesterday onwards I ban fb games. I removed all games. Fb illegal to see for primary students.He use my fb account and played. I heard from him a game called hackers. He said the game owner can use other people account and take something from them without their knowledge. I saw his friend post something undesirable. Then I enquirer him, he said the above.this kids don't know seriousness. Then I told him our fb account in danger. Then we wanted to delete our account. Then I removed all the games. Now I allow him to play other Internet games in the weekend only.

You meant you emailed Facebook and told them to delete the Facebook accounts? Actually I think our children are attracted to the Facebook games, not so much of the social features.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HopeandSorrows » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:55 am

You son is such a good boy! He seek your permission first! How lovely! I wish my boy's like that. :sweat: My boy execute the task b4 reporting :spank: :spank:

happyheart wrote:My son has been nagging me to allow him to start a FB account. He complains that most of his friends have an account and thinks that not having one makes him look 'uncool'! m :sad:
Haha...Personally I feel it is not appropriate and necessary to have at his age so I rejected his request. Instead, I drag him outdoor for exercise and get him more books to read! So far so good :lol:

I do allow him one hour of online time during weekend if he can finish the tasks without complain.

HopeandSorrows
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child