How to toilet train children

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to toilet train children

Postby luvmum » Thu May 14, 2009 11:05 am

Hey mummies,

My boy was toilet trained 2 months ago. He is able to go potty or asks us to bring him to the toilet when he needs to pee. My prob is his big biz. Till now, he still poos on the floor and thereafter cry and said potty, which is too late cos oredy poo out. :idea:

Any mummies hv great advice for me? I dunno what else can I do...hv explained to him, smack his backside and what not but it's just not working. :stupid:

So a bit skeptical when I bring him out w/o his diapers cos dunno when his little bomb will come out... :!:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smurf » Thu May 14, 2009 11:44 am

how old is he?

when I toilet trained my boy. took me only 3 days.

I used scoldings. may not work for ur child if he is very thin-skinned lah. :roll:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Thu May 14, 2009 12:46 pm

How old is your boy?

From our experience - basically, it's a combination of the child's ability to anticipate it mentally, and also his ability to control the muscles involved.

If a kid is old enough to coordinate both, then toilet training only takes a short time, cos it's simply like changing your routine.

But if a kid is too young, no matter how hard you try, it will be an uphill struggle, cos his body is simply not quite ready for it. It would be like trying to teach a toddler to jump. You can struggle and struggle and try, which may help accelerate the process a little, but it will not be as easy as waiting for the kid's body to mature enough to pick up the habit easily.

Get it? :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Thu May 14, 2009 1:19 pm

sashimi is right. For our DD, I tried 3-4 times between 12-18mths old. Only the last try closer to 18 mths old, I succeeded within a day or two. I didn't want to push, especially for the big one, cos she will get stressed and hold it in and get constipated later.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby luvmum » Thu May 14, 2009 1:39 pm

He's oredy 2 yrs 5 mths liao leh...I started when he's 2 yrs 3 mths. Before he turns 2 have tried but I know he's not ready back then, so waited till he's after 2. Pee is fast for him to master but comes to poo, though I can see his expression but most of the times too late liao, by the time he shows that expression, motion is on his way...

Sometimes dunno cld it be tat he is confused oso...cos morn when he goes for his 2hrs nursery, he needs to put on his diapers as the school said they dun hv time to bring children to the toilet. :P So he is on diapers in the morn and of course at sleeping time.

Buay Tahan now.... :roll:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu May 14, 2009 1:46 pm

My 2yrs 6mths is just recently partially toilet trained (if he is too engrossed in playing or watching tv, he usually pee on the spot :roll: ) - my fav phrase nowdays is "mummy, pass urine" :wink: . Don't have the confidence to go outdoors diaperless yet cos he'll forget about informing me if he is engrossed in playing :roll:
He is still standing up to poo though....he'll inform me if he want to pass motion, but doesn't want to squat or sit at the potty or toilet seat. no idea what to do...think probably wait until he is older.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds » Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Likewise for pee which can be pre-empted and can come timely...
ie. 20 mins gauge after milk, upon waking up from nap, after lunch (etc)
Some children poo at scheduled times. If the feeling usually does come
somewhat on time on target, you can ask child to sit on potty nearing the
scheduled time.. if nothing comes out, keep going at it say... every 10-15
mins... until subsequently it does bank in! Hahahaa!

I did not use the squatting potty for both my girls. They cannot stomach
having to get up, look at the 'mess' followed by wash up in the toilet and
throw the remains inside it...

We did it with just the padded child seat cover. Easy for clean up
too. And most important, dun have to see the mess, can flush rite
away. :wink:

PS : We got an IKEA kiddie stool for them to hop on up the toilet and
also for small feet leverage when squatting to the businesses involved. :lol:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu May 14, 2009 1:59 pm

buds wrote:you can ask child to sit on potty nearing the
scheduled time..

I already have problem getting the kid to sit down at all...he is always on the go :P

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Thu May 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Like buds, I used the "direct to toilet bowl" method. I couldn't stand having to wash a dirty potty afterward. I bought an all-in-1 potty thingy that has an actual potty, a child seat to go over the toilet seat and a step stool. I even got a simple, no frills potty (the kind that we used to use) but it was not used. Reason? Simple. I think companies don't realise that some kids cannot fit well on a standard potty. My DD almost fell off the 2 pottys I got her. She's big for her age but not fat. She looked so uncomfortable and like she was trying very hard to balance herself that I gave up. She got used to the child toilet seat very quickly, to my relief. I think the last straw for her was when I went to Popular and bought the extra thick and big clear plastic sheet and put it on my sofa. She hated sitting on it cos it was so uncomfortable and the floor wasn't much better. LOL :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

pee and poo and pee and poo

Postby clarabella » Thu May 14, 2009 3:18 pm

My experience is that it's possible to toilet-train kids fairly early. Being very squeamish and very lazy about wiping and washing bottoms, I didn't want my kids to get used to eliminating waste in diapers, so started plonking them on the potty when they were about five months old. Easier to flush than wipe/wash! Also cheaper; saved on diapers. :D

By about 12 months old, my three kids were able to either tell us that they needed to use the toilet (when we were out) or go to the potty themselves (when at home) , and the other important thing is that they can wait till they were on the throne before letting go. I don't know if it was cos they could verbalize the urge early enough, or if it was a physical thing -the relevant muscles were able to 'hold' everything in. My paediatrician claimed that it's the latter re voluntary control of sphincter muscles; when they could go before it becomes truly urgent, they have understood the whole idea.

But then I used cloth diapers, mostly - perhaps that helped since they were very aware of these bodily functions. Didn't use the admonishment way, just consistently sat them down once I saw funny looks on their faces. Believe it or not, even young babies make a face before they pee.

luvmum
My paediatrician friend advised that for bowel movements, we can try to set a routine i.e. set a time and suggest to kiddie, every day, that it's time to poo. According to her, the best time to try is the morning, cos that's a good time to detox the body.
Or, does your ds poo at a regular time (morning/afternoon/evening)? Some kids do so reliably, especially younger ones. If he does, then maybe you can ask him to try sitting on the potty at the appropriate time..

clarabella
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child