4yo who dislikes puzzles

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

4yo who dislikes puzzles

Postby pumpkin_pie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:10 am

My boy coming 4yo this year doesnt like to do puzzles. It would take him an hr to complete just a 24-pc puzzle, which is not those very small pc type. I have taught him many times to start to find the corners first, then the sides, then do the insides, but he will just go by his own method - which is trial and error. :slapshead: Can u imagine how long that takes? At times, he will totally forget the concept of a "side" piece and try to put it in the center. Despite telling him many times to look for 'clues' in the piece and try to find the matching piece, he will just do his own way - mostly join pieces randomly outside of the puzzle, then put it inside the puzzle. Or he will just insist a piece is correct and force it in. Is this normal or is he slow? Any mummies share the same experience? WHat do you do?

I always end up feeling very annoyed when he does puzzles and sometimes think should I just not let him do any puzzles at all since he doesnt show interest in it. I thought puzzles are good for the brain which is why i hope he can practice more.

pumpkin_pie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: 4yo who dislikes puzzles

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:08 am

It is probably better to let him learn by discovery. If puzzles is not working out, perhaps just give him building stuff like large lego blocks and see how he ticks. It would be good to observe him a bit and understand why he likes to do it his way, for all you know, he may be a little inventor in him instead of copier.

Postby HopeandSorrows » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:00 am

haha. don't force him! his interest is not there ...yet!

what you could do is... u and yr hubby do a simple puzzle together, be engross in it. do it in front of your ah boy. then when he suddenly approach u guys, get him to join in .. by saying daddy and mummy need extra help!

:evil:

pumpkin_pie wrote:My boy coming 4yo this year doesnt like to do puzzles. It would take him an hr to complete just a 24-pc puzzle, which is not those very small pc type. I have taught him many times to start to find the corners first, then the sides, then do the insides, but he will just go by his own method - which is trial and error. :slapshead: Can u imagine how long that takes? At times, he will totally forget the concept of a "side" piece and try to put it in the center. Despite telling him many times to look for 'clues' in the piece and try to find the matching piece, he will just do his own way - mostly join pieces randomly outside of the puzzle, then put it inside the puzzle. Or he will just insist a piece is correct and force it in. Is this normal or is he slow? Any mummies share the same experience? WHat do you do?

I always end up feeling very annoyed when he does puzzles and sometimes think should I just not let him do any puzzles at all since he doesnt show interest in it. I thought puzzles are good for the brain which is why i hope he can practice more.

HopeandSorrows
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby UncleLim » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:31 am

pumpkin_pie wrote:My boy coming 4yo this year doesnt like to do puzzles. It would take him an hr to complete just a 24-pc puzzle, which is not those very small pc type. I have taught him many times to start to find the corners first, then the sides, then do the insides, but he will just go by his own method - which is trial and error. :slapshead: Can u imagine how long that takes? At times, he will totally forget the concept of a "side" piece and try to put it in the center. Despite telling him many times to look for 'clues' in the piece and try to find the matching piece, he will just do his own way - mostly join pieces randomly outside of the puzzle, then put it inside the puzzle. Or he will just insist a piece is correct and force it in. Is this normal or is he slow? Any mummies share the same experience? WHat do you do?

I too advocate letting kids explore puzzles their own way. My DD does it from the centre.. then "radiating" outwards. Illogical to me.. but it gets done nonetheless, just differently. :wink:

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pumpkin_pie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:15 am

thanks for all your sharing. I do agree to some extent I may be over-paranoid for nothing. Im probably irritated why DS can't use my "methods" of playing the puzzle despite telling him over and over again. You know it's like "just follow the instructions!!" so simple yet cannot follow. Sometimes really drive me to the wall :stupid: But I think both of us are stubborn..lol. Ok, I shall try not to raise my voice and let him do puzzles his own way...hopefully he will develop a better liking to it! :xedfingers:

pumpkin_pie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Funz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 am

Why insist that there is only 1 way to put together a puzzle? Let him do it his own way. Don't box him in at such a young age. The best way for anyone to learn is to figure things out themselves. You can show him technics but leave it to him how he wants to assemble the puzzle. It is supposed to be fun.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby iLoveChubby » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:50 am

Hi pumpkin_pie!
Just to share.. my DS1 loves puzzles and could finish difficult puzzles since young.. and he grows up loving Mazes books and toys like LaQ and Zoob.
On e other hand, my DS2 (1 yr older than your DS), no matter how much I tried to cultivate the interest of puzzles etc in him (like i did for his brother), he just takes v long to complete a puzzle (YES, he just cannot understand the "corner rules" in puzzles!... :slapshead: )
He is also not interested in toys that require him to follow instructions.

I do agree with other KSP that different kids develop differently.
Your DS is still v young, let him "flourish" in his own ways.. :dancing:
You may wish to visit toy stores like Growing Fun which have many interesting educational toys that yu may wish to explore.
Best to bring him along to select something he likes - other than puzzles, other toys can also train his motor skills and coordination ability. :rahrah:

iLoveChubby
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby keltong » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 pm

I have the same experience as iLoveChubby.

My older boy loves puzzles since very young and we bought many for him. He grow up loving to fix Lego and create his own character with Legos.

My younger one never like puzzles and hardly touch any of the puzzles, but he do love lego and also love to create his own things from lego.

So not to worry, he may just be interested in other things. Keep discovering.

keltong
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Working With Your Child