Children Suicide Cases

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby Picolo » Thu May 14, 2009 2:43 pm

It really pains my heart. :cry: :(
Why would such a young fine girl want to take her own life? I have high regards for those in competitive sports, always thinking that they are much more resilient than others.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KS_me » Thu May 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for sharing insider,

I'm actually very concern about child suicide cases.... but usually don't find such report in TNP but chinese Wan Bao

From your link... I saw another rpt :!:

7岁童在校受罚回家被父抛下楼 父亲接着也坠楼

:!: and :( at the same time...

To all parents (including myself)... COOL DOWN!

To the boy & the father, May U rest in peace..

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby rocklee » Thu May 14, 2009 3:51 pm

I feel that children nowadays are already very stressed in school. The least the parents could do is not add on too much pressure to them by setting too high expectations. Parents should be realistic when setting their expectations, based on their assessment of their children's capability. Even if the child did not do well in exams, it is not the end of the world. Instead of reprimanding him, parents should give positive comments such as "don't give up", "try harder next time", "you can do better" etc etc. At least it makes the child feels that his parent do care about him and not just his results.

rocklee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby rocklee » Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Well, my point here is that the comments should be positive. We should make the child feel that he should never give up or he has the capability to achieve.

rocklee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu May 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Having high expectations is not the source of stress.
Inability to accept failure is.
Kids and parents should be taught to accept failures.
So what if this exam results not ideal? After the nagging/reflections, just Keep Moving Forward - I love that movie!

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby rocklee » Thu May 14, 2009 5:34 pm

I came across a parent who scolded her child because he scored 99 marks which is 1 mark short of 100! Such are the unnecessary pressure which I think should not be encouraged.

rocklee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby buds » Thu May 14, 2009 5:57 pm

jedamum wrote:Having high expectations is not the source of stress.
Inability to accept failure is.
Kids and parents should be taught to accept failures.
So what if this exam results not ideal? After the nagging/reflections, just Keep Moving Forward - I love that movie!

Yes, this is a good movie. My girls were pretty young then when we all
watched it so didn't really sink in... but we watched it on rental again
when they were slightly older and all they said the next few days was
keep moving forward.. hey mebbe, this is a great movie to watch after
the Parents Teacher Conference. Hee! :wink:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu May 14, 2009 6:05 pm

rocklee wrote:I came across a parent who scolded her child because he scored 99 marks which is 1 mark short of 100! Such are the unnecessary pressure which I think should not be encouraged.

I'm thinking the mother may be frustrated that the mistake was one of
carelessness... imagine a mistake for forgetting to put the first letter in
the sentence as a capital letter... and worse still forgot to put full stop at
the end. Half mark each = 1 mark. It's like a near miss to perfection.
The mother must be :stupid: in frustration over that 1 mark... :wink:

:(

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Picolo » Thu May 14, 2009 10:51 pm

KS_me wrote:Thanks for sharing insider,

I'm actually very concern about child suicide cases.... but usually don't find such report in TNP but chinese Wan Bao

From your link... I saw another rpt :!:

7岁童在校受罚回家被父抛下楼 父亲接着也坠楼

:!: and :( at the same time...

To all parents (including myself)... COOL DOWN!

To the boy & the father, May U rest in peace..

This afternoon, I happened to speak to an ex-neighbour whose son attends the same school as the boy in the father & son suicide case. What I know from her is, the son is a special needs child and was attending Pri 1 in the mainstream school. The father was retrenched not long ago. He found a new job but must have suffered a bad paycut. The parents had been quarrelling over some matters. It seems that the incident was due to family problems rather than problem with/in the school.

My ex-neighbour also shared that some of the info/details in the wanbao papers are not really accurate. This is not the first time I heard about half-truth reporting on wanbao. Basically, the reporters get some 'skeleton' of a piece of news and then just make up some false details.

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Luvkid » Fri May 15, 2009 12:34 am

suicide case is indeed very heart breaking after reading it. I have been wondering too, is it really too much stress from their studies? Maybe we should work on our kid this way. Dun blame them for not getting good grade or even fail, blame on the carleless mistakes they made.

Everytime, reading suicide case of school children, my heart go sank down....

Luvkid
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child