Left hand or right hand?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Left hand or right hand?

Postby jenao » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Would like to seek advice from forummers here. Dd who is a little over 3 is left handed. But since Nursery this year, her teachers hv been getting her to write using right hand. So now when I see her holding a pencil, it is with right hand. But her teachers also told me to train her as her right hand is really weak ie she can't really write. Which is rightly so since she does everything using left (except holding chopsticks with right which was also taught -not consciously to her using right sometime back as i just modelled to her using right) and her right hand is very weak. I tried to switch her to using left hand to write but she is very resistant, saying teacher ask her to write using right.

Now,I am in a dilemma. I want her to use whichever hand which is most natural to her and I believe it's her left hand. She writes on the white board using left hand. But I also do not want to confuse her since she associate writing using pencil with right now. I also read that is it not advisable to switch them to using right hand if they are indeed left handed. BTW, she is the only left hand in our family and we do not know why! But the teacher mentioned that if they are taught at a young age, they are okay! (and I think its quite true, since she uses the chopstick with right) Her Chinese teacher who is also a left hander but uses right hand to write says that she is taught from young to write using right hand. Now, shld i just go with the flow and strengthened her right hand or make the decision to switch her back to left and get the teacher to support that?

Frankly I did not expect her to have writing problems as she is a lot more hands on than my ds who do not have much problem writing. She plays with the clay a lot more, she uses the scissors at an earlier age, she writes on the white board a home etc but mostly using left hand. So, it makes sense to switch her back to left. But then again, I am not sure if writing using left hand is better. I think they will have a harder time as writing materials, exercise books are all geared towards right hander and left hander have a disadvantage?

Appreciate your reply as I do want to act on it fast if we need to switch her to left hand and inform the teachers.

MTIA

jenao
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Left hand or right hand?

Postby Oppsgal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 pm

My kid used to write with left hand too. My father advise that I train my kid to use right hand. So right now my kid is using right hand to hold pen.

"it not advisable to switch them to using right hand if they are indeed left handed"- Not sure about this...my kid has no trouble writing with right hand so far.

Actually I am wondering who state the rule that everyone must write with right hand. :shrug:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hquek » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Obama is lefty, our PM is lefty. Why young kids cannot?

DS2 seems to be a lefty becos his left hand seem more dominant. But DH forced him to be a rightie. He is now using right hand to write, but will subconsciously use his left for other activities. I don't agree with that but damage has been done.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jenao » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Hquek, insider and opsgal,

Are you saying that on hindsight, you will get your kid to use left hand to write instead of using right? I find that a lot of lefties are trained to use right hand and its an Asian thing.

jenao
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Actually left and right hand does not matter. Right only because in this world, many things are built for right-handers. In fact if both hands are equally active it is good for the development of both brain hemispheres.

Postby cherrygal » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:33 pm

There is a research study that says lefties may not be able to fully develop their brain potential if they are forced to become right-handers. Advice from the researchers was to let them use their natural hands. Lefties are smart and creative pple. Only drawback is they may do the writing strokes differently and they drag their hands when they write.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 am

I am a left hander. In the early 80s, even my kindergarten teachers would not force me to switch to left hand. So I am baffled why your DD's teachers insist her to write with right hand and to train her right hand. If I were you, I would let the teacher know that my decision is to let DD use her natural left hand to write. She should not force her to use rt hand during lessons. Instead, she should now encourage her to use left hand.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dimsum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:44 am

jenao wrote: But then again, I am not sure if writing using left hand is better. I think they will have a harder time as writing materials, exercise books are all geared towards right hander and left hander have a disadvantage?

Appreciate your reply as I do want to act on it fast if we need to switch her to left hand and inform the teachers.

MTIA

Don't worry. I didn't experience any difficulties or disadvantages all these years :lol: I use the same stationery as right handers. But I can't write chinese calligraphy because strokes not right. Haha!

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jade » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:46 am

** deleted double post **
Last edited by Jade on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jade
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jade » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:50 am

I am a lefty..my dad is a very traditional man...I was caned to ensure that I use my right hand to write. I still remember those time cos it was really v unpleasant for me...the crying n the silent question inside me why my dad has to insist that I cannot use my natural left hand to write (I remember feeling "sorry" for my left hand that it was not allowed to write when it was much wanted to :) I was in kindy then). I remembered "giving chance" to my left hand to write whenever dad was not watching n unfortunately when got caught, I wd be caned. Eventually I learned to write with right hand n am still using it. But when come to sports eg bowling racquet games, my natural left hand dominates...that's because I pick up sports in school n dad not around to catch me w my left hand :). At home, I was trained to use chopsticks w right hand. This I could understand cos otherwise my chopsticks will be "fighting" with the person's whose sitting at my left side.

All these years, I hv this feeling that because I was not allowed to use my left hand to write, somehow, something is "blocked". I can't explain what that is..but like higher order creativity that is with me cannot flow out. Sorry dun know if I make sense here.

Anyway, if my kids were born left handed (which they r not), I will not force them to write w right hand. But for social reasons, I will train them to use chopsticks w their right hand.

Jade
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child