Pls help!My girl doesn't like to get dressed.

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Pls help!My girl doesn't like to get dressed.

Postby cmy1180@yahoo.com.sg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 am

Hi,
Can anyone advise me as I've problem getting my girl to get dressed everytime.I've tried letting her choose the clothes that she want to wear but she still end up making a fuss and resist not to wear.Please help.Thank you!

cmy1180@yahoo.com.sg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Pls help!My girl doesn't like to get dressed.

Postby cherrygal » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi

How old is your gal? I assume it's the toddler stage. It's quite common for her to try to exert her rights at this age.

Use positive reinforcements:
"You wear your clothes now and we will go outside to play with Elmo / ride a bicyle etc"

Don't ask your kid if she wants to wear her clothes. Just tell her to wear them in a matter-of-fact way. Keep a firm grip on her, continue to talk to her about other things (to distract her) and with your other hand, just start wearing the clothes for her.

You could talk about her belly button, play "this little piggy" with her toes etc to distract her. Or you could place nice posters in the room and talk about them.

Buy diaper pants and easy-to-wear T-shirts with her fave characters. She doesn't need to look like a princess every day.

Keep it quick. Good luck!

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cmy1180@yahoo.com.sg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi cherrygal,

Thanks for your advise.My girl is 28 months old.I've tried to distract her.It works at first but right now she is so used to the distraction and she will resist.Really don't know what to do.She is really stubborn.

cmy1180@yahoo.com.sg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby cherrygal » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Another way is to tell her off once and for all. She may cry but she will know her place. I did that to my gal who is just slightly younger than your gal. Immediately I saw her compliance and she never tried to overstep the boundaries. I showed her my authority by telling her firmly (with a slight growl) she is not allowed to bully mummy. Very serious face and lots of eye contact. Do NOT laugh or treat it as a joke. She will get the message.

It's similar to the dog handling method where you need to show you are the pack leader. Kids like to test the boundaries.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cmy1180@yahoo.com.sg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Hope it will work.Will try this.Thanks for your advice.

cmy1180@yahoo.com.sg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child