whats the age gap between your kids?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

whats the age gap between your kids?

Postby iLoveMyBoy » Tue May 19, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi all,
Like to find out the better age gap between your kids. Is it closer the better or the other. :?

iLoveMyBoy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Jennifer » Tue May 19, 2009 6:10 pm

No.1 1997, No.2 2001- 4.5 years gap. No.1 is the 1st grandchild in hubby's family, so gets all the attention till No.2 comes along. Both children are of different personality (though similarly chatty and talkative and competitive), sometimes buddies, sometimes enemies.

No.1 complains No.2 is so childlish. I think it would be some more years before they can see eye to eye :pray:

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby luvmum » Wed May 20, 2009 9:39 am

Mine was 2 years 2 months gap. V close bro and sis and most of the games and activities can be done together, eg playgrond time, play dough, lego etc. My DS will hold DD hand whenever she goes and will cry when relatives/sisters tease her that DD will not go home today. :love: As for my DS, whenever I send my girl for her enrichment, he will loiter outside the classroom for a while and call for jiejie. :politebleah:

I simply love their closeness though there are fights/ pulling hairs too but they are children afterall. :kiss:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iLoveMyBoy » Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks for sharing. We were thinking of an other baby in 2 years time. So would most likely be the same age gap as Jennifer's...4 ~ 4.5.
Normally it would be the elder 1 being jealous and complaints along the way. As he gets most of the attention during the the first few years until your younger 1 comes along.
We parents will actually say that we will not be biased between them.But comes to situation we actually will still "show" more care towards the younger 1s. :oops:

iLoveMyBoy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed May 20, 2009 11:00 am

Mine 15 months apart - mistake lah coz originally planned for 3 yrs apart :oops:

They were very close when younger and many people mistaken them to be twins. Now that they are transiting into teenhood, their personalities are developing more intensely and there are naturally more fights. They are still very close and I am hoping this will last. :pray:

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 am

iLoveMyBoy wrote:Thanks for sharing. We were thinking of an other baby in 2 years time. So would most likely be the same age gap as Jennifer's...4 ~ 4.5.
Normally it would be the elder 1 being jealous and complaints along the way. As he gets most of the attention during the the first few years until your younger 1 comes along.
We parents will actually say that we will not be biased between them.But comes to situation we actually will still "show" more care towards the younger 1s. :oops:

I agree with you.

When No.2 was still a baby, No.1 asked when bro could play with him. We asked him to be patient and little bro would grow up soon. By then, No.1's interest in play has shifted to board games. No.2 still cant play bcos of limitations in understanding rules. When No.2 can play board games, No.1 has again changed his interests. So No.1 is always waiting for little bro to catch up. Hence the complaints. Just the other day I told him I should hv tried giving birth to twins, growing up at the same rate. Hiaz.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iLoveMyBoy » Wed May 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Well heutistmeintag's situation is almost like having a pair of twins. Lucky parents.
Well i have heard of friends that are aiming for a pair of twins and "close factory". A pretty good plan that saves the trouble of going in and out of hospital.. haha. But as we know the odds are pretty low.

iLoveMyBoy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed May 20, 2009 4:28 pm

iLoveMyBoy wrote:Well heutistmeintag's situation is almost like having a pair of twins. Lucky parents.
Well i have heard of friends that are aiming for a pair of twins and "close factory". A pretty good plan that saves the trouble of going in and out of hospital.. haha. But as we know the odds are pretty low.

Actually, I thought of that too but was happy not to get twins coz then everything must buy double. Cant share as 1 boy and 1 girl.

As a matter of fact, my daughter used to complain why she was wearing boys' hand-me-downs. :D We decided to let her pick and buy her clothings when she reached P3 but she's still quite tomboyish in her dressing and hates to wear skirts. oops :wrongmove:

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iLoveMyBoy » Fri May 22, 2009 11:32 am

heutistmeintag wrote:Actually, I thought of that too but was happy not to get twins coz then everything must buy double. Cant share as 1 boy and 1 girl.

Well i have that same feeling too. To have twins is double the tiredness. Salute to those mum with twins. But for your case, it's like marathon. Salute to you too! :udawoman:

iLoveMyBoy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Our No. 1 (girl) and No. 2 (boy) was 11 months apart. They are both yr end kids so they are in a different year otherwise it would be like "twins". People usually mistook them for twins as No. 2 is now catching up in terms of height.

Given their age gap, the No. 1 probably didn't know how to behave like a big sister. They are always bickering, fighting over trivial stuff, etc.... of course there are good days too. Think this is probably normal?

For childgiver, it was quite a strain so when No. 2 came, we got a maid otherwise it's crazy taking care of 2 very young kids.

The pros is that they grow up fast and together. Whatever learning I had for No. 1 for school can be applied to No. 2.

Our no. 3 (girl) is 4 yrs and 3 yrs diff from the 2 older kids. Now No.1 girl knows how to take care of No.3 like a big jie jie. Don't really fight but the girls would usually gang up against No. 2 boy.

Recently my son started asking why can't he has brothers and not sisters??? Why can't he be the No. 1 etc....

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child